williepillie
1 Copper

Re: Dell 1545 Will Not Boot Into Recovery Partition

Jump to solution

hey dude 

im having a problem and it seems like you have the answers

my recovery partition is still there and everything is still there just need someone to help me with imagex and where to get it and restore my factory settings

thanx

0 Kudos
boogiemunster
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Everything you need, the winpe disk and instructions, are in my post data 6 Sep 2012 2:34 PM.  Let me know how everything works out for you.

0 Kudos
williepillie
1 Copper

Jump to solution
I did exactly what u said i must do but now it tells me winload.exe missing any ways of getting that fixed? Thanx
0 Kudos
beer2beer
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I've just registered on this community just to say that...

boogiemunster, you are a GENIOUS! I was almost giving up on a Dell Inspiron 14R 3060 when I've found this thread. Don't need to say that your instructions was the perfect solution.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
boogiemunster
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Sorry for the delayed response, but when are you getting that error message?  After you have used imagex to deploy your factory OS?

0 Kudos
boogiemunster
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Beer,

Thanks for the kind words!  Genius, very doubtful! But I will take it. Just another <ADMIN NOTE: Profane word removed TOU policy> techy that questions why the OEMs will not help their customers with such simple task!

0 Kudos
beer2beer
1 Copper

Jump to solution

lol, I've misspelled that word (genious instead genius), my english is not that good, sorry. Anyway, I've been working as  a TI professional (not even close to be good as you)  for about 20 years, and I'm used to solve some hard issues. This one was driving me crazy, mostly because the laptop isn't mine but a costumer's.

Your post was the golden mine on my case, so you really deserve a big THANK YOU! Wish you all the best, you are GREAT!

My kindly best regards,

Ulisses - b2b - Brazil, with a costumer who is going to be very happy when she receives her laptop with original factory system working properly.

0 Kudos
theshowpro
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am having trouble and could use a bit more guidance. I have downloaded and made the WINPE disc using ImageBurn on an WIn XP machine, when I boot the 1545 (Vista HP and I have no idea if it is 32 or 64bit version)  it loads the Windows files, then takes me to the Boot Manager. File "windows\system32\boot\winload.exe" is missing or corrupt. Status: 0xc0000001. Pressing continue only gets me to the second page of the Boot Manager, Windows Setup [EMS Enabled] or Windows Memory Diagnostics are my only choices. I can get no further. This is a laptop that was given to a friend, because it does not function. Windows will load to the user account login, but the password will not function. You cannot get beyond this. I checked the bios setup and there are no admin or other system passwords present, all are open and unassigned. Ran the diagnostics and all is fine. I cannot boot the machine into anything since it always comes to this login and we cannot get any further. Since I have no restore discs, I was hoping this method would allow me to wipe the system and restore to original setup. I can only assume the original owner picked up some nasty piece of malware that is preventing all my attempts. The only OS discs I have are Win Xp. Have I missed something on the instructions? Your help would be most appreciated.

0 Kudos
blahblah99
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Congrats to boogiemuster and gibb99 (and others) - excellent info guys!

I was trying to restore a Dell M5040 and the above info got me tantalisingly close to success, but imagex kept giving me an error write after it said 100% Applying Progress.

I discovered that c:\dell\image directory actually contained three image files factory.wim, factory2.wim and factory3.wim. To make it work I needed to modify the IMAGEX command as follows;

imagex /ref c:\dell\image\factory*.wim /apply c:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 😧

This forces imagex to recognise that there are three linked files to restore. Instead of 8 mins the first time I did it, this new command took over 19mins to complete with no errors!

(I found this info at hardforum.com/showthread.php )

Hope that helps somebody.

squeezebox_huf
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Just to add my experience - and thanks for the help boogiemunster, it was invaluable.

I had the same issues, the recovery process from Dell's datasafe backup utility just would not make the laptop boot from the recovery partition. Even though I could see it in disk admin, and it was "Active" according to that too. Anyway I did as boogiemunster suggested and booted from the WinPE ISO

My partitions were then C: for the recovery, 😧 for my old 😧 drive (with just files on it) and E: for my old C drive.

I ran imagex /apply c:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 e: and it ran for a little while, complained, then choked over lack of disk space. So I ran diskpart to format the old C drive :-

• diskpart
  • select disk 0
  • select part 3
  • format fs=ntfs quick
  • exit
Then I repeated the imagex which ran through a lot quicker all the way to 100% HOWEVER it choked at the end with "Error restoring image, specified file did not contain a resource selection (error= 1812)"
So after a little more googling I found reference to an error when the factory image is split into more than 1 file, as was my case when looking in c:\dell\image - I could see factory.wim and factory2.wim. So I needed to change the imagex command line as follows :
imagex /ref c:\dell\image\factory2.wim /apply c:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 e:
Then everything has gone hunky dory!