Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2014 15:00

Dell 15Z cracked screen

Purchased a Dell 15Z touch screen for my daughter for Christmas of 2013. While at school working on the computer, she adjusted the angle of the screen and it cracked from lower right corner to upper left corner. I called Dell and talked to 4 different folks including "Keith" who claimed to be a supervisor. He indicated that Dell would charge me $258 for a new screen, because I only have a basic warranty. This is incredible, that a laptop that costs more than $500 has a screen that lasts only 60 days. My daughter simply used the computer in the manner it was intended. She did not drop it, hit it, or in any way interface with the touch screen in a manner inconsistent with everyday use. I want Dell to send me a new screen, but they will not. I strongly suggest anyone considering purchasing a Dell touchscreen look at other manufactures D Weatherington

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 17th, 2014 15:00

The only way a cracked screen would be covered by any manufacturer is if you purchase accidental damage insurance.  NO manufacturer will replace a cracked screen, period.

So - if you decide to buy a different make of system next time, get accidental damage coverage - particularly with a touchscreen system, where the glass and LCD both usually need to be replaced, which raises the cost of the repairs.

February 17th, 2014 16:00

I feel your pain - just doesn't sound like very good service. I am very disappointed in Dell. I too have a XPS 15Z, just over 2 years old and originally cost over $1000.00, and now I cannot get a $6.00 Bezel Overlay for it from Dell! If that isn't bad enough, their support person let me know they have it in stock but for the USA only - Canadians cannot buy them! Here's what I've been told:

Agent (xxx_xxx): "For this issue, the part is listed already as EOP or End of Production."
02/17/2014 11:07:40AM Agent (xxx_xxx): "THe parts availability that we have are only for US."
02/17/2014 11:08:10AM Agent (xxx_xxx): "For Canada, you may try to check locally through other Electronics and Accessories retailers online."

Not good enough that Dell will not support their > $1000.00 systems for Canadians after only 2 years but will support those same systems across the border in the USA!

No Events found!