Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 1st, 2010 21:00

Dell 1737 Bios Will Not Flash

Hello,

I have a Dell Studio 1737 that is about 17 months old, out of warranty of course.  About 2 months ago my fan began spinning really loud at intermittent times.  I have searched the internet and see that several customers have had this problem.  I was on the phone yesterday with Dell Support with 10 different people that I could hardly understand....for 3 hours.  They say that I need to Flash the Bios and update it.  So, they walked me through it....several times.  Each time it fails. 

When I click on the A08 executable file it brings up Dell Flash Utility v1.30.  Almost immediately I get an error message that says "Cannot continue because 1. Machine information not detected 2. Version information can't be detected.  When I click the OK button and actually look at the utility, under Current System Bios Information it says System unknown, Vendor:Not Dell Inc. !!

I have the AC adapter plugged in, the battery is fully charged.  What do I do.  How can I update it?  I have 64bit Windows Vista.

FireDiven

North Carolina

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 2nd, 2010 03:00

FireDiven,

I know there were issues with version 1737_A08.exe. It was there, then pulled, then there again.

Read this first. How to by-pass the Dell Download Manager

Using Internet Explorer, then download 1737_A08.exe

Save it to your desktop. Before flashing the bios, restart your computer to make sure all the changes are still there.

Then once you are back in your unrestricted account, with the ac adapter plugged in, then double click on the 1737_A08.exe file. It will walk you through the process. When you restart your computer, it will then have the latets version.

What wireless adapter are you using in the Studio 1737?

Rick

7 Posts

October 2nd, 2010 13:00

I was hoping that you would respond soon, thanks.

I had already bypassed the Download Manager and tried that, but I tried it again and it didn't work.  My wireless adapter is an Intel Preset 5100

The flash utility says that it cannot recognize the current version and says....It's not Dell!!

When I go into the System Bios with F2 at startup, it open the Phoenix Bios Utility.  Could that be the problem.  It is Bios version A05.

Tracy

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 2nd, 2010 18:00

Tracy,

Mine is also a PhoenixBios Utility.

Did you download the file to your desktop, then right click on it, left click run as administrator?

Rick

7 Posts

October 2nd, 2010 20:00

Yep, Tried that too!!  Same message!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 2nd, 2010 21:00

Tracy,

Try the download from Dell Studio 1737_A08 Bios. Save file to desktop (Direct link to download the bios in email ONLY. Link has been edited to remove the direct download.)

Does this version work?.

You may have to disable your virus protection. Right click, run as administrator, allow, flash. When it says connect the device, just continue and it will shutdown, then restart on it's own. Make sure nothing is attached to the computer except the AC adapter.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 3rd, 2010 16:00

Tracy,

Does your computer have the latest Windows updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications? Did you Download Latest Java?

I just tried it before I posted it and it does work. Are you using any download accelerators? If so, turn them off as they corrupt some downloads.

Rick 

7 Posts

October 3rd, 2010 16:00

I have downloaded that link, you can take it down.  Sorry, but this is not working either.  This is an aggravating situation.  Why do you think it keeps saying that the current Bios is not Dell?  The computer is only like 18 months old and I ordered it directly from Dell.

Tracy

7 Posts

October 5th, 2010 08:00

Rick,

I have been reinstalling the entire Microsoft .Net Framework.  I am almost finished with that.  When I get done, I will restart, and try the Bios Flash again and let you know how it goes.  I have updated the Java also.  I think it is possible that part of the .net framework was residing on a bad sector on my drive because it wouldn't let me install the lateset update for a few weeks now.  Everytime I had tried it in the past, it failed.  So, I uninstalled it all and have started over to get it off the bad sector.  We will see what happens.

Tracy

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 5th, 2010 19:00

Tracy,

Sometime, restart your computer. Press F12 at startup. This will run the diagnostics. Run the full diagnostics and see if you get any error messages.

Rick

7 Posts

October 8th, 2010 15:00

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you.  I did perform the diagnostics last Sunday.  I recall getting one error about the hard drive.  That is why I choose to reinstall the .net app in case it was residing on bad sectors.

It has taken me all week to rebuild the framework one update at a time.  It is finally done.  There are currently NO updates for the computer but guess what....THE BIOS STILL WILL NOT FLASH!!!!  I am gonna pull what hair I have left out!!!!!!!!

Tracy

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 8th, 2010 15:00

Tracy,

The exact error message is helpful. I recently got error 2000-0146 and that is a hard drive error.

Rick

7 Posts

October 9th, 2010 13:00

Ok, everything is up to date and I did the diagnostics again.

Here is the error code I got in the Diagnostics:

Error Code-0146

Msg: Error Code 2000-0146

Msg: Hard Drive 0 Self Test lo

log contains previous errors

Hard Drive-DST Short Test

That is exactly how it was and it was the only error message I received.  I tried to flash the Bios again, and all is as before.  Says, that machine information cannot be detected, version information cannot be detected  Here is a shot of the screen.

Tracy

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 9th, 2010 14:00

Tracy,

Error 2000-0146 looks like this and it maens the hard drive is failing. Please backup all files and folders that you need. If under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support.

Rick

1 Message

November 11th, 2011 23:00

I am having the same problem and even when running the diagnostics my laptop shuts down i the middle of the process! i am having a dell inspiron N5010 latop and my warranty has expired, what should i do?

March 19th, 2012 17:00

EVERYONE WITH THIS PROBLEM TRY THIS:

Remove all your RAM except 1 stick.

It works.

I've had this same problem before with a Studio 1555 and XPS 1640, in both instances the BIOS flash worked after I removed one of the ram sticks. In both instances I had miss matched ram, 2 different brands, 2 different sizes, one was 1GB the other was 2GB.

I hope this helps anyone doing a search for the error message:

Cannot continue because version information can't be detected

OR

Cannot continue because 1. Machine information not detected 2. Version information can't be detected

OR whatever similar DOH! you get

No Events found!