lj_fenton
1 Copper

Dell 17r SE sleeping early Win 8

Hi, I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 17R SE with Windows 8. After customizing it to my tastes, I started to notice that the majority of the time my computer would go to sleep within 3 minutes of having the computer on and no activity from me. If I rebooted and started windows 8, the computer would follow the power options I had set (on plugged in state it would sleep in 30 mins). After coming back from that sleep, it would go back to sleep within 3 minutes.

Thinking it might be a unsupported program or app, I did a "Refresh" of Windows 8. Same issue

After the refresh, I did a clean install of windows 8 (through the settings tab under Tile Mode), and still have the same issue. Computer will sleep normal after reboot/power up, but every subsequent sleep cycle happens within 3 minutes of bringing computer out of sleep mode.

If anybody can please help me out w/ this situation, I would appreciate it. I am thinking it's software and not hardware, or it could be normal for windows 8. Who knows. Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
lj_fenton
1 Copper

Re: Dell 17r SE sleeping early Win 8

This issue seems to be an issue w/ USB bringing the computer out of sleep. When the computer sleeps and you use a USB mouse/keyboard to wake it up, then the 3 minute sleep will happen. If you use the power button to bring the computer out of sleep, then you will get the 30 mins (or whatever your sleep settings are) of computer being on. Anybody have any fixes for this issue? I would assume it's basically hardware now. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos