Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 2nd, 2011 18:00

Dell 17r screen display fades in out/goes orangish

My dell inspiron 17r laptop screen fades from dim to light quite often, it also fades to an orange-ish color and usually returns to the normal color within a minute. I've only had the laptop a month, anyone know what might be causing this issue?    Please help, thanks! :emotion-1:

3 Posts

April 5th, 2011 15:00

anybody know what could be causing this?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 6th, 2011 14:00

Amlea

I would first test with an external monitor.  If you notice the problem on the external monitor then it is likely a problem with the video card.  If it only happens on the LCD screen then that is where the problem lies. 

One thing to watch out for, there is a button on the top right of the keyboard, pressing it will turn off the LCD, as soon as you touch a key or move the mouse the LCD screen will come back on.  Check to see if you are putting pressure on that side of the keyboard when this happens. 

Also check to see if this happens while you are using the system only with battery or with both battery and AC adapter.   You may also want to check power options on control panel and see if Windows is cutting power to the LCD to save battery power.  In power options you may want to change the power profile to not cut power to the LCD and see if the problem goes away. 

Please let me know what you find out.

TB

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 8th, 2011 06:00

Check the power save mode for the display (in BIOS setup - F2 at powerup).

18 Posts

April 8th, 2011 06:00

I am having EXACTLY the same problem with my brand new Inspiron 14R bought less than a month back from BestBuy. It only happens when the system is on battery power. The screen noticibly fades down to something barely visible, but returns back to normal in a minute.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 8th, 2011 08:00

Also one thing to try is to look into the Fast Access Facial Recognition program.  There is an option called power save.  Uncheck it to disable it and then see if the display has the same problem.  Power Save is a feature that shuts the LCD down when the webcam doesn't detect any faces in front of it.

TB

3 Posts

April 27th, 2011 11:00

TB-

It seems to be happening mostly when I run on the battery.   We have check all updates for this laptop everything is current.  I appreciate your help.

Amlea

18 Posts

May 13th, 2011 21:00

Not trying to hijack Amlea's thread here - but I'm facing exactly the same problem on a Inspiron 14R.

Terry - its not a problem with an external monitor, its not because of some key I'm pressing. It ALWAYS happens whenever I'm on the battery. I am using Windows 7 and am using the "Power saver" mode in the OS.

ejn63 - There is no " power save mode for the display (in BIOS setup - F2 at powerup)." on my system.

Terry - where can I find "Fast Access Facial Recognition program"? Which program runs that? I checked out a program titled "Intel(R) HD Graphics" and it does not seem to have that Facial Recognition option.

1 Message

September 28th, 2013 19:00

Couple years later - but I am having the same issue. Has there been any resolution for this?

No Events found!