Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

G

4 Posts

February 27th, 2008 10:00

Dell 350 Toshiba Bluetooth Stack -- No Longer Detected WinXP Sp2

Hello,

I have an Inspiron 6400/E1505 notebook, with WinXP Pro Sp2 and on-board 350 Toshiba Bluetooth hardware module. This notebook has been in use for about 18 months without any major issues, other than the usual ones. As of February 2008, I had never tried to use the Bluetooth, because I did not have any Bluetooth devices. During the first part of February 2008, I decided to start synchronizing my HTC 6800 (Titan) Pocket PC Phone with Bluetooth instead of the USB cable. I clicked on the Bluetooth icon in the lower right side windows taskbar and was alerted that the Bluetooth had not yet been configured. Upon selecting "Configure", a whole bunch of COM ports were created, and the Toshiba Bluetooth Stack Manager was installed. At first I had difficulty getting the Pocket PC paired with the E1505. Finally, I succeeded and was now able to sync the Titan 6800 with Outlook on the E1505 and transfer files to and from the notebook.

Next challenge was to implement a wireless Bluetooth scanner to import barcodes to an Excel file for database management. The software installed on the E1505 would not connect to the Bluetooth scanner. The software developer technical support advised that their software was not compatible with the Toshiba Bluetooth Stack and should uninstall it and install the MS Windows Bluetooth Stack that is embedded in Win XP. Before uninstalling the Toshiba Stack, I decided to see if there was an update for the Toshiba Bluetooth. At the Dell web site I found a new driver update R117967 and proceeded to download. The update required uninstalling the previous driver before the new one could be installed. The new driver package update first installed the firmware with success. The next phase of the update was to install the Toshiba Bluetooth Stack driver.

Here is where everything went terribly wrong!!!

The driver started to install and then failed miserably. Several error messages appeared such as “Found New Hardware”, “Device Unknown” “Hardware Could Not Be Installed” and many more appeared faster than I could read them. Needless to say, the Bluetooth feature was now “hosed”. Next step was to uninstall and start over. Again the firmware installed successfully as before, but when it was time to install the driver the install started and then hung. Within a few minutes a window popped up instructing me to press Fn + F2 and turn on the Bluetooth. However, it was already turned on. After turning on and off several times with the same error reappearing, I aborted the update. The Toshiba Bluetooth Stack was again uninstalled and an attempt to install the MS Windows Bluetooth Stack also failed. Win XP no longer recognizes the 350 Bluetooth hardware. Nothing is listed in the Windows Device Manager, not even with a yellow exclamation. The Bluetooth module is identified as installed according to the BIOS and the MSINFO utility within Win XP, also lists the device as installed, but has no information about the device such PnP ID or MAC Address. It is though it just does not exist.

I called Dell Technical Support and they remotely accessed the E1505 and tried to install the Toshiba Bluetooth Stack. After several failed attempts, Dell shipped a new Toshiba RD530 Bluetooth module and I replaced the original module. Nothing changed!! Another call to Tech Support now resulted with the standard answer for complex issues, “The operating system is corrupt” and will require a reinstall of Win XP from the recovery CD. Yeah right, “When Pigs Fly”. At that point I was angry for all the wasted time with no help from Dell and abruptly booted him out of the E1505 machine and told him to go blow smoke up his behind. If I have to reinstall everything over, it will be on a brand new machine that Dell will have to send me at “NO CHARGE”, before I would agree. After all, this baby is still in warranty until June 2008. I have way too much software installed and do not plan to reformat this hard drive losing all recollection of preferences and settings. If the operating system is in fact corrupt I would not want to transfer anything, but rather do a clean install. That will take countless hours, days and even weeks, before I would ever get things back to where there were before. Furthermore, if I have a true hardware problem with the motherboard, it will not fix this problem.

This was a perfect flawless working E1505 machine, before I installed the Dell R117967 update package, for the 350 Toshiba Bluetooth Stack.
Please reply with your progress, since you also seem to have the same criteria as I, with a similar problem.

Thanks,

Tony"

Message Edited by geekwad on 02-27-2008 07:04 AM
Message Edited by geekwad on 02-27-2008 07:05 AM
Message Edited by geekwad on 02-27-2008 02:48 PM

1.5K Posts

March 1st, 2008 04:00

Important to give plenty of time for a Bluetooth Module Firmware Flash to completely finish the job, be sure to have reliable battery as well as AC power connected for the process.

The Firmware Flash for Dell Toshiba Stacks can leave a "USB CSR" in place of the USB Hub that would power your TM350 and should be deleted after Firmware is done.

Take a look in your Device Manager (show hidden devices) and delete that USB CSR, it was needed for the firmware flash, but your Bluetooth module will never be seen by any Bluetooth Stack as long as it exists.

You may find more info researching "Stuck in DFU mode" and you mentioned knowledge of need to first remove old Stack/Driver prior to install of new and the 'built-in' MS Stack can also cause havoc during install (all those "Found new Hardware..." you saw) and that is the reason for the Bluetooth module to be turned off until the installer requests it to be turned on.

If your MS Stack has your BT Module, your Toshiba will never find it, sometimes you can ignore "can't find" and complete install and then go into Device Manager and if you see Bluetooth, change driver, 'let me choose' and 'have disk' and point it to the Toshiba software.

There is a learning curve to Bluetooth, but have not had a problem now for years and new D830's Toshiba WinXP Stack worked right out of the box and is now networking with the old D800's Widcom Stack and they are both driving five or more applications. None of the ones you mentioned, but two different printers, Intellimouse, Holux GPS and WxWorx weather radio and now each other.

Art

2 Posts

March 28th, 2008 19:00

Art

Please ignore my ignorance, but I have a D830 I just purchased and I have an Insignia Bluetooth headset (NS-BTHDP) that was working at first and then started to lockup the program as Geekwad stated. I rebooted and it would work. That went on for 2 days then today I try to connect and the software Bluetooth for windows by Toshiba says the connection failed. I haven’t loaded any software or changed anything, but I restored back to yesterday when it was working. Never the less it is still not connecting. I have read a lot of the articles and fell stressed in trying off the wall stuff to fix this problem. Insignia said it was a problem with the Toshiba software. Can you help.

1.5K Posts

March 29th, 2008 12:00

I use Bluetooth with a Holux GPS, an IOgear Printer 'dongle', an HP460 Portable Printer, a WxWorx Satelite Weather Receiver and the Bluetooth Mouse. Only the MS IntelliMouse Explorer is problematic, every few weeks to few months, it will need re-connection after every 'battery-saving' nap. It is supposed to 'go-to-sleep' after exactly eight minutes of in-activity and awaken within a second of any touch or movement.

This issue is seen on both D800 and D830 which have different Dell Bluetooth Modules as well as different Stack/Drivers (D800 came with Widcomm). On the D800, only solution found was to remove in Device Manager, HID Mouse as well as all other HID Drivers and reboot for fresh install of all eight or so drivers, this will restore normal operation for a few weeks to months.

On the new D830, it worked fine for five weeks and then started the same problem (still working fine on D800's December reinstall :) ) and I tried install of Microsoft's latest IntelliMouse program (never used on D800), but that worked for a day.

Found that with the D830's Toshiba Stack/Driver that opening its Options... (from right-click systray icon) GUI and clicking 'RUN' on the Diagnostic Page re-awakens the IntelliMouse untill it has gone into another 'eight-minute' nap. When using it now, I just park that [run] box in a corner and put the cursor there when done with mouse.

You should do the Diagnostic [Run] test, it will first test for internal communication with TM360 and second test for connection to any external Bluetooth devices. I don't know any more than that about the 'test'.

I have absolutely no experience with any audio, headset or cellphone operation with Bluetooth at all.

I would suggest that you start a new Thread for this issue on the Dell Network/Internet/Wireless

I do wish they had a dedicated Bluetooth Board, but they seem to be divided between this and that boards.

You mentioned that Insignia wanted to blame Dell/Toshiba and that is typical, have you looked into headset/Bluetooth Discussion Forums? This is Verizon's and I'm sure there are many others, (I have a Verizon Cellphone w/Bluetooth and when I saw it needed to use Verizon software, I never tried to use it.)

Art

Message Edited by Art on 03-29-2008 09:25 AM

4 Posts

March 30th, 2008 15:00

I have been monitoring this thread and offer this update.

Dell has extremely poor tech support and should choose another Bluetooth module manufacturer and management software program for their product. I am very angry with Dell, because their solution to what they are unable to fix is “re-install the operating system, because it must be corrupt”. That is easy for them to say, but have no compassion for the amount of hours, days or weeks it may take to get this computer back to where it once was. I would have expected Dell to thoroughly research the problem and spend the necessary time and resources to identify the deficiency and offer a patch to correct the problem. My extensive research trying to find a fix indicates the Dell Bluetooth system is problematic. I have loads of software on this machine and will only consider re-installation, when I change to another machine, with a newer operating system or have a complete crash, which fortunately has never yet occurred. I am not about to start over, when everything else works flawlessly. Besides, my felling is that if I took Dell’s advice and did a complete recovery and restore, as instructed, I would probably still have Bluetooth issues with the same internal Toshiba Bluetooth module and Stack software installed.

My experience with Dell technical support, soon revealed that I knew more about the situation then their senior level of support. I had much difficulty understanding each person that I spoke with. What happened to the good ole “US of A”? Why does American business have succumb to nothing but pure GREED, by taking their manufacturing and support services to other parts of the continent and bring it back to the USA to reap maximum profits and line the pockets of the stock shareholders. I purchased this Dell machine, because I thought I was buying AMERICAN made product, with AMERICAN staffed support. Since IBM has also gone this route, I will no longer consider a once prominent AMERICAM name brand, because it means absolutely NOTHING!! Based on my experience regarding this matter, my next machine will be for the most hardware, the best features and software for the absolute lowest price, because NOTHING else matters anymore. Names are not important!! Wake up Dell, you are on going down in flames.

SOLUTION: I gave up trying to resolve the internal Toshiba Bluetooth module and have permanently turned it off in the BIOS setup F2. I purchased a ZOOM model 4311 external USB Bluetooth dongle adapter, which has a range of 330 feet. Packaged with the adapter is IVT BlueSoleil 3.2.28 management software. BlueSoleil is currently offering a free upgraded to version 5.05.178. If you decide to download the newer version, then do not install the 3.2.28 version that was in the ZOOM package, because it will have to be uninstalled before you can install the upgrade.

http://zoom.com/products/bluetooth_overview.html

http://www.bluesoleil.com/download/index.asp?topic=bluesoleil_5_for32_en

All is now working well and I have no more Bluetooth issues. The BlueSoleil software is pretty cool stuff, as the 5.05.178 version automates the pairing process and has a “Windows Explorer” style interface as well as “Space Galaxy” style screen to display the current installed devices.

Regards,

Tony

Message Edited by geekwad on 03-30-2008 11:10 AM

1.5K Posts

March 31st, 2008 01:00

Tony,

Thank you for that most interesting and informative update on your experience. 

Glad you were able to get Bluetooth to work for you :) 100 meter range, that is quite a step-up from 10 meters.

It should be mentioned that Class 1 Bluetooth acheives this by a forty-fold increase in X-mit. power and that could be an issue for some portable users

For anyone considering this, (Thanks for those Great Links) the similar spec 4312 PCMCIA Card Version might save motherboard damage that could result from such a large USB Dongle (there is no flexability for a strike).

For those who can live with a Class 2 Bluetooth, they are making some of the USB versions much smaller and there are also versions that will run in your Flash-Card slot (with no exposure to strike).

As I said above, I have never used any audio service from Bluetooth, but BlueSoleil has an excellent reputation with audio users.

BlueSoleil also, (unlike Toshiba or Broadcom/Widcomm who only want to deal with OEM's) is happy to provide service to the end user. for jhlay6 a BlueSoleil Stack/Driver will work with your Dell internal module as well.

A big caution would be that you MUST; Completely uninstall, including Device Manager and disable the Windows BT Stack before starting a new Stack/Driver install. BlueSoleil should be able to help you there.

Tony, I completely agree on the issue of 'format/reinstall 'tech support's easy fix for all problems they can't handle' and a corrupted Bluetooth will go way over their heads, it is an 'entry-level' job they do.

An excellent Dell Telephone Tech spent three hours on the phone with me for a necessary (I had corrupted my registry) re-install of Win95. Recently, I have had excellent Dell Support (hardware) using the Automated Troubleshooting site that ends with the "Contact.." and have had a replacement in my hands by Noon on the next day.

It has now been ten years since I have installed an OS on a Dell, but had to do it four times in one miserable year with a Sony VAIO. Their Telephone Tech Support for the US is in Florida, about eight miles from my home.

Dell has used both Toshiba and Widcom Bluetooth Software for different models, not interchanble though, TM300 & TM355 use Widcomm and TM350 and TM360's use Toshiba, any of them can use the Windows Bluetooth installed Stack/Driver and BlueSoliel is the Only other option at this time.

Art

4 Posts

March 31st, 2008 02:00

Hello Art,

I too am concerned about a strike and have obtained a USB flexible elbow adapter, which allows me to place the ZOOM dongle in the vertical upright position. Unfortunately, the Dell E1505 has an express card slot and will not accept the ZOOM PCMCIA card. I would have much preferred to go the PC card route, to minimize any potential for damage.

It is still a mystery and puzzling to me, why the WinXP operating system would no longer recognize the Toshiba internal module, after all Bluetooth software was uninstalled. I had even edited the registry removing any keys referenced to Toshiba or Bluetooth, including the "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Bluetooth", which is where all the COM ports were created by the Toshiba Stack Manager that originally appeared in the Windows Hardware Device Manager. The Toshiba Stack Manager software was not installed until about one year after this machine was placed in service. I did not have any Bluetooth devices during that time. When I would click on the Bluetooth icon at the Windows Taskbar, it would return a message that Bluetooth was not yet configured and asked if I wanted to install the device. When I got my first Bluetooth device in February of 2008. I then clicked on the Bluetooth icon and this time answered "yes". The Toshiba Stack Software was then installed successfully, from the software already on the hard drive from the Dell factory image load. It was not until I removed that software, for reasons stated in previous thread, when the internal Toshiba module nor the Windows Stack Manager install, because Windows XP no longer detected the Toshiba module. My concern about doing a Recovery and Restore from the CD was whether or not the pre-loaded Toshiba Stack software would reappear as it did with the original factory image load. I have found in the past that the Recovery CD's only reinstall the Windows Operating System and is not the same as the original factory image load. I would then have to update all the drivers from another CD or the Dell support web site manually. I was not optimistic that the internal Toshiba module or Stack Software would have worked properly and still have no Bluetooth. Then what would be Dell's excuse, after I blew away all my previous hard work only to start over reinstalling a ton of software as previously installed. I guess I will never know, unless I have a catastrophic failure and have to reinstall the operating system. I have read many threads by others that had similar if not the exact same experience as I. As mentioned earlier, my biggest disappointment with Dell is that they have not spent the time and resources to find out why this is happening and come out with a patch to correct the registry or missing files that would correct this problem.

On another note, just curious if you are a corporate pilot, retired pilot, etc., as my brother is a retired commercial pilot with 40 years of spreading his wings.

Tony

Message Edited by geekwad on 03-30-2008 10:40 PM
Message Edited by geekwad on 03-30-2008 10:43 PM

1.5K Posts

April 1st, 2008 03:00

Tony,

I am a Corporate Pilot, same corporation for past 33 years. I have long held an Airline Transport Certificate (License), but had I gone for the Airlines, regulations (that they are now trying to change) would have forced my retirement years ago, I love my 'job' and have no desire to retire.

My Bluetooth education (Google Searches) came after my BIOS Flash of D800 over to M60 (story link in my sig below) called for reinstall of "new found hardware" by WindowsXP (sp2) and it installed the Windows Stack. No doubt that there is far more to it than I have had to learn just to keep the devices I need working, as I posted above, my only issue is related to that MS IntelliMouse and workarounds exist, can't blame Bluetooth, as it is across both D800 & D830 with different Bluetooth Modules and brand of Stacks, always wanted a LaserMouse, but will need to be sure it remains Bluetooth frendly.

I found that as long as one device (like the MS Stack) has your Bluetooth, another install (like for the Dell Widcomm Stack) will act like you have no BT Hardware. The symptoms you described looked like your firmware flash's USB Utility was still installed and that will prevent Windows (or Toshiba Stack) from seeing that you have the module.

Your TM350 is from Cambridge Silicon Radio, so you need to look for 'CSR' devices in your USB devices and possibly the registry and I greatly fear registry edits.

There are stories (on the Network Board) about even more serious Bluetooth issues related to Vista and utilities provided to "awaken" your module (if had been off on an install).

Art

Message Edited by Art on 04-01-2008 12:05 AM

2 Posts

April 1st, 2008 17:00

Art/All

I fixed my problem with the Bluetooth Stack for windows by Toshiba. I went to the http://support.dell.com/ site and clicked on search for drivers. I then chose by service tag to look for updates. Under the Network heading there is a recommended download for the Wireless 360 module bluetooth. I saved this to my desktop and and the download automatically uninstalled my old software and I rebooted and double clicked on the icon the update was saved to on my desktop and it loaded the new software and I needed to reboot one more time. Now everything works fine.

James

No Events found!