Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 11th, 2017 14:00

Dell 5737 heating problems

The laptop is already 4-5 years old and now the fan seems to work a lot harder. The main use is Chrome with a few tabs open. The cpu temperatures at idle never goes lower than 45 degrees and easily go up to 70 degrees when videos in youtube are loaded. 

Except the need of cleaning the fan could it be optimal to change the paste too? Or could something else be wrong?

All drivers are updated. 

2K Posts

May 12th, 2017 00:00

Hi JIMARAS001,

Does the system overheat and power off or freeze or does it work normally?

Download the service manual - open the chassis and clean the airvents and fan assembly with a can of compressed air or a small vacuum cleaner and reapply the thermal grease to the heatsink.

Update the BIOS from the above link and check if required.

If the fan is too noisy, you could consider replacing it - http://bit.ly/2r0nP07

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

9 Posts

May 12th, 2017 02:00

No ot doesn't freeze or sliw down. It works normally. Is it possible for the thermal paste to be old? It is only 5 years old.

I will follow your suggestions. Thank you!!

2K Posts

May 12th, 2017 03:00

Hi JIMARAS001,

Thank you for the update.

There is a possibility that the thermal grease might have exhausted / wearing out. Kindly follow the suggested steps and you should be good to go.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!