Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2014 08:00

Dell 5737 problem with USB3 HDD caddy

I have a Dell 5737 (Win 8.1) that came with a Samsung Momentus St1000LM024 1TB HDD.

I've installed an SSD in the laptop, and moved the HDD into a USB3/UASP enclosure (see http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HHO0U7U/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ).

After a few minutes of sustained use (EG format partition with "quick format" disabled), I get error:-

USB device not recognized

The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.

Event Viewer lists the following:-

Event 153, disk
The IO operation at logical block address 0x1c43a800 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\0000008f) was retried.
(12:14:34)
The IO operation at logical block address 0x1c43ac00 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\0000008f) was retried.
(12:13:00)

Event 129, UASPStor
Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort2, was issued.
(9 occurences, 12:13:17 - 12:15:48)

Event 140, Ntfs
The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: \\?\Volume{3ce92d13-06cd-456b-8f19-a735f1d63ffb}, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume30.
(A device which does not exist was specified.)
(7 occurences, all 12:16:34)

The caddy has both data & power cables. I get the same errors, regardless whether the data cable is plugged into laptop's USB3 or USB2 port, the power cable is plugged into laptop's USB3 port, USB2 port or an external 2A charger for my Samsung tablet.

The caddy works perfectly well when connected to the USB3 port on my desktop PC (happily formatted a 700GB partition at 100MBps over 2+ hours). NB this is Win7.

The disk works perfectly well on the laptop when I put it in a Sharkoon Quickport USB2 adapter, on laptop's USB3 port.

I seem therefore to have eliminated:-

• Caddy has a universal fault;
  • Disk has a fault;
  • Caddy incompatible with HDD;

I seem to be left with:-

• Laptop is incompatible with the caddy.

Can anyone suggest any troubleshooting / settings I can adjust to make the caddy work with the Dell?

Many thanks for any help.

Cheers, Martin

16 Posts

July 31st, 2014 15:00

Oh, and yes - the plugs on the cable have the 5x additional connectors at both ends.

cheers, Martin

16 Posts

August 2nd, 2014 11:00

I'm now having confusing results.

I tried one more time to format the partition with the caddy connected to USB2. And it worked, despite having tried & failed multiple times before! Maybe something to do with a setting that I changed, but I'm pretty sure all settings are the same (or have been reverted back to) the original settings.

Still fails via USB3 connection, so the issue appears to either be with the Dell's USB3 sockets, or with the caddy's handling of a USB3 connection.

Are there any hints how to fix a USB2 OK / USB3 fails scenario?

Thanks.

cheers, Martin

16 Posts

August 5th, 2014 06:00

SSD's draw MUCH LESS Power than Hard Drives.  This is why the caddy has aux power input.

You need a 2AMP 5v power supply aka  10W or more. USB 2 puts out .5 AMP or 2.5W and USB3 puts out .9AMP

This is why the caddy has aux power connection.

Well, just to make this even a little stranger - I tried the caddy again when connected to the USB2.0 port, but with only the data cable connected, IE no auxiliary power connector, so just had to rely on the 2.5W from the data USB port.

It successfully trudged through format of a 700GB partition without recording any issues in Event Viewer, so I don't think we can lay this issue down to insufficient power.

Could be some issue with the design of the USB3.0 port on the caddy, or could be an issue with the design of the USB3.0 port on the Dell.

Unless anyone has reports of a caddy that does work with the 5737's USB3 ports, looks like I'm stuck with USB2.0 speeds.

Thanks for both your help.

cheers, Martin

No Events found!