kyre1014
2 Bronze

[Dell 7348] Updated to Windows 10 Creators Update, stuck at black screen with spinning dots because of display drivers - long-term fix?

Jump to solution

Okay, just created an account to post this in case some people might have encountered a similar issue and have suggestions on fixing it long-term.

My Dell 7348 was fine running Windows 10, but after updating to the Creators Update and rebooting, it would freeze and get stuck on the black screen with spinning white dots (after the initial screen with the white Dell logo).

Several reinstalls later using a WIndows 10 USB key installer, and I finally isolated the cause: the Intel HD 5500 Graphics drivers. I tried three versions of the Intel Graphics drivers to see if there was a difference:

• The package on Dell's support page for the 7348, which installs Intel Graphics Driver 15.40.25.4463
  • The drivers fetched by Windows 10 via Windows Update, which also installs Intel Graphics Driver 15.40.25.4463
  • Intel's official and latest drivers, which installs the newer Intel Graphics Driver 15.40.34.4624

All three of them, on reboot, would still get me stuck on the black screen with spinning dots. Even on a fresh and clean installation, with new partitions and all.

But guess what lets me boot and reboot without any problems every time? Yup, the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter drivers. Using those, I have no booting problems at all.

So if you're having the same issue as me booting/rebooting into Windows 10 and your Dell laptop uses Intel Graphics drivers, this is a workaround you can use.

A quick thank you for reading this far, so I'll get down to the question: does anyone have a suggestion for a long-term fix? Because, obviously, using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver in the long run isn't exactly ideal.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kyre1014
2 Bronze

RE: [Dell 7348] Updated to Windows 10 Creators Update, stuck at black screen with spinning dots because of display drivers - long-term fix?

Jump to solution

Okay, so the problem happened again with the latest updates. I finally found the source of the problem: the Intel (R) HD Graphics Control Panel Service is what keeps hanging on boot.

All you need is to disable it on starup as follows (this assumes you've already installed the latest Intel HD Graphics drivers):

1. Boot into WIndows 10 either normally (if possible) or in Safe Mode (option 4 in Windows 10 Auto Repair > Advanced Options > Troubleshooting > Advanced > Restart).

2. Open Control Panel > Administrative Tools > System Configuration (you can also open Windows Search and look for System Configuration).

3. In System Configuration, modify the following:

• Home tab

- Choose Selective Startup

- Tick the checkbox for Load System Services

- Tick the checkbox for Load Startup Items

- Untick Use Original Boot Configuration.

• Boot tab

- Untick all checkboxes except for Boot Log.

• Services tab

- Look for and untick the checkbox for Intel (R) HD Graphics Control Panel Service

4.  Click Apply and restart. Windows 10 should now boot normally and the Intel HD Graphics driver still installed under Device Manager.

I assume that the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel Service keeps conflicting with the internal power settings of Windows 10 in some way that's unique to my machine.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kyre1014
2 Bronze

RE: [Dell 7348] Updated to Windows 10 Creators Update, stuck at black screen with spinning dots because of display drivers - long-term fix?

Jump to solution

UPDATE

Unfortunately, after a couple of days the fix below stopped working. I have no idea how to fix this. Had to use System Restore to go back to using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver. Anyone out there who can suggest a fix?

Original post:

OK so I've managed to find a fix that's working so far. Steps below:

1. Boot into your UEFI settings and make sure that Secure Boot is Enabled.

2. Boot into Windows 10. Open your web browser and download the Intel Driver update Utility at downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Intel-Driver-Update-Utility

3. Install the Intel Driver Update Utility and start scan.

4. Select the Intel Graphics Drivers for Windows [15.40] with version 15.40.34.4624 and download/install it.

5. Reboot, and it should work normally.

Hopefully this works for you folks with the same issue. I'll continue testing this and update if it doesn't work out long-term.

kyre1014
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Okay, so the problem happened again with the latest updates. I finally found the source of the problem: the Intel (R) HD Graphics Control Panel Service is what keeps hanging on boot.

All you need is to disable it on starup as follows (this assumes you've already installed the latest Intel HD Graphics drivers):

1. Boot into WIndows 10 either normally (if possible) or in Safe Mode (option 4 in Windows 10 Auto Repair > Advanced Options > Troubleshooting > Advanced > Restart).

2. Open Control Panel > Administrative Tools > System Configuration (you can also open Windows Search and look for System Configuration).

3. In System Configuration, modify the following:

• Home tab

- Choose Selective Startup

- Tick the checkbox for Load System Services

- Tick the checkbox for Load Startup Items

- Untick Use Original Boot Configuration.

• Boot tab

- Untick all checkboxes except for Boot Log.

• Services tab

- Look for and untick the checkbox for Intel (R) HD Graphics Control Panel Service

4.  Click Apply and restart. Windows 10 should now boot normally and the Intel HD Graphics driver still installed under Device Manager.

I assume that the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel Service keeps conflicting with the internal power settings of Windows 10 in some way that's unique to my machine.

View solution in original post