Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 1st, 2012 18:00

Dell 7720 17R halts during boot-up right after it display Dell logo after BIOS A11 update

After updating BIOS to A11 the computer stalls during the post bios boot up, I have to turn off and back again for it to completely boot up to windows 8.

how can this issue be resolved?  I am unable to restart computer normally because it halts right after it displays the Dell logo on the screen.  please assist

this is becoming a problem that I have to turn off and on laptop twice before it will finally boot up to window 8

3.1K Posts

December 4th, 2012 00:00

Hi Big Ralphie,

Please check if any external USB devices are connect to the computer. If yes, I would recommend you to disconnect the device and check. Alternately, try the following steps and see if it works:

Reset BIOS to default settings:

• Power off the computer
  • Restart the computer
  • Tap ‘F2’ on Dell logo 2-3 times. This will take you to the ‘BIOS’ screen
  • Press ‘F9’ key, choose ‘Yes’ on the confirmation window, press ‘Enter’
  • Press ‘F10’ key, choose ‘Yes’ on the conformation window, press ‘Enter’ to reboot the system

I would also recommend you to run the diagnostics to check the functionality of the hardware:

To run the ‘Dell Diagnostics’

• Power off the computer
  • Restart the computer, press F12 on the Dell logo
  • Select ‘Diagnostics’ from the boot menu
  • Please refer to the link if any error code shows up http://dell.to/OUGnqT

Please reply if you have any questions.

35 Posts

December 4th, 2012 09:00

Hello

I am unable to get notebook to respond to the F12 key have tried multiple time and still unable to F12 to work

3.1K Posts

December 5th, 2012 01:00

Hi Big Ralphie,

Thank you for your response. Are you able to access the F2 key? Did you reset BIOS to defaults? Please share the results.

I would recommend you to try the steps mentioned below and see if it works:

Drain the residual power from the laptop:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer
  • Then remove the adaptor from the computer
  • Remove the battery from the computer
  • Press and hold the power button on the computer for 10 seconds
  • Reconnect the battery and the adaptor
  • Restart the computer

Please reply if you have any further questions.

35 Posts

December 5th, 2012 02:00

Reset you BIOS by above mentioned method, it would make your pc fine.

35 Posts

December 5th, 2012 08:00

I am unable to get BIOS to save or reload to defaults, and the above steps did not help

35 Posts

December 5th, 2012 08:00

this did not work

3.1K Posts

December 7th, 2012 06:00

Hi Big Ralphie,

Thank you for your response. I would recommend you to drain the residual power once again and try to access F2 and F12. In case this do not work, please send the service tag of the computer.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Please reply if you have any questions.

9 Posts

December 14th, 2012 14:00

Just went through this with my brand new 17r-SE....an hour with Dell support, and no resolution. My solution was to do a full reset from the included Win 8 image included on the HD. In the meantime, Dell sent me a Windows 8 reinstall disk as well as a drivers disk, just like they used to. Can you imagine? How much can they possibly save by not including 3 stinking disks with every purchase? Also, no user manual, except on the computer or online.

Think I'm <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU>

:)

35 Posts

December 14th, 2012 15:00

None of this has worked

35 Posts

December 14th, 2012 15:00

I am more than that, I can not understand how you can send systems out like this to customers and then provide tech support reps that are very hard to understand and do not get you a resolution.

I can not even create a set of recovery disks because of an issue with dell backup and recovery with windows 8

can anyone help me with this one?

considering returning and getting a refund and getting something else!

December 15th, 2012 03:00

Big Ralphie, I spoke with a member of the software tech support team on 12/13/12 @ 6:24 pm CST regarding problems I experienced with  Dell Backup and Recovery on Windows 8 and I was told it was launched with known problems due to Win8 and he believed it may be as long as 2-3 months before everything was working properly.

December 15th, 2012 03:00

Inspiron 17R SE 7720 (Win8, 32GB mSATA, dual 1TB hard drives)

I allowed tech support to take over my computer in trying to rectify a problem with the creation of a Windows System Image and I am now having the same problem that "Big Ralphie" describes above.  I don't know if it is due to BIOS A11 but I do believe that A11 is now on my computer.  I experienced the problem after giving tech support control of my computer through Dell Connect.

Problem:  Shut down the computer, when the computer is then started the Dell logo shows for a fraction of a second and then the screen goes black and the screen does nothing.  Press the power button down and the computer turns off, turn the computer back on and it boots up "partially" correct.  The restarting of the computer must be done twice EVERY time.   The first time ALWAYS yields the same result (Dell logo shows for a fraction of a second and then the screen goes black).  When I say that it boots "partially" correct, here is what I mean...  On every 2nd restart the screen jumps past the Win8 screen with the mountains/water/tower bldg, then logs in to one of the users set up on the computer (this occurs even though there are multiple users configured on the computer.  Note: neither of the users set up on the computer has passwords set up.)  

I worked with a 2nd knowledgeable tech support (Jaideep) and he took me through all the things you recommended in your post on 12-04-2012 at 2:16 AM and your post on 12-05-2012 at 3:59 AM.  These steps did NOTHING to fix the problem.  The tech support then had me restore the computer to its factory state.  This was done by holding down the “Shift” key continuously while restarting the system.  A blue screen appeared with 4 options.  He then had me click on “Troubleshoot”.  Then he had me click on “Dell Backup and Recovery”.  After a while the screen turned black with a large white box saying “Dell Backup and Recovery”.  Clicked on “Next” and went through the process reinstalling the “Factory” Image without any problems.  Reinstalling the factory image did NOTHING to fix the double start problem or the computer logging into one of the setup users accounts.  They have now dispatched me a new hard drive and motherboard.  We will see if that fixes the problem, however if it is a BIOS A11 problem the replacement parts will only be a short temporary fix.  Note: all the above steps were performed with only one (1) of the 1TB hard drives installed.

Using a camera, I videotaped the computer going through this problem sequence and showed the video to Jaideep when he had access to my computer through Dell Connect, so he has seen this first hand.

35 Posts

December 15th, 2012 17:00

WHAT!!!!  they shipped knowing of this issue with windows 8?  if that is the case then ship me one with windows 7 instead I never wanted windows 8 in the first place.  My original order was for a laptop with windows 7 and the replacement they sent me was with windows 8 instead and they said they can no longer ship them with windows 7.  this is unacceptable to ship knowing there are issues and expect customers to wait 2 - 3months for a resolution!

terrible service

I continue to have the same issue and it is annoying and unacceptable what options do we have?

35 Posts

December 15th, 2012 17:00

the replacement of hard drive and motherboard is not going to resolve the issue.  you are going to continue to have the same issue.

I have had my laptop replaced twice and the issue continues

92 Posts

January 16th, 2013 16:00

I copied tis from my reply in a similar post:

I think I finally see the problem in the BIOS.  When I got the computer it had three boot devices in the following order:

1) Hard Drive 0 in the first drive  bay

2) Hard .Drive 1 in the 2nd drive  bay

3) DVD drive

When I loaded BIOS Ver. A12 these are all gone and replaced by something called "Network Boot" which I do not want or have. These never should have been erased and in fact Phoenix Technologies  should be asked to put these in by default when  using the "Default Option" function key.

I believe we have to Add the original 3 default boot devices back in but I need the exact procedure and exact 3 entries to be made.

I kind of believe the BIOS is written such that it will boot in the programmed BIOS order on 1st power up but will default to HD 0 by default on 2nd power up when no success on the 1st power up? Hence the two power-up's work.

No Events found!