Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 26th, 2016 07:00

Dell 7720 Intel rapid start after ssd upgrade

Hey guys, I had previously changed my Sata options in the Bios to AHCI so I that I could install windows on my 32Gb Msata drive. I used this setup for a good year or so but now I just purchased and installed a SSD for my system. I've reinstalled windows and upgraded it to windows 10 but after installing the Intel Rapid Start desktop app, I noticed it doesn't give me any options for acceleration using my 32Gb mSata drive.

When I go back to my Bios to change my Sata options back to Intel Smart Response Technology, I keep getting the blue screen saying my pc will restart an basically I cant get anywhere like that. I'm only able to boot into windows with my Sata options set to AHCI however I still want to use my 32Gb msata for cache purposes and to accelerate my ssytem.

Any help would be appreciated in helping me re-enable it 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 26th, 2016 08:00

A native SSD doesn't need the cache - and in fact setting one up can result in a slower system - not a faster one if the cache drive is slower than the native ssd (which it almost certainly is).

3 Posts

March 26th, 2016 08:00

Thanks for the quick reply EJN63,

That does make sense, I believe the mSata port is Sata 2 where as the my ssd is on a Sata3 port. 

So basically, now my 32Gb mSata is kind off useless. 

3 Posts

March 29th, 2016 00:00

Hi EJN63,

Just wondering that since my 32GB mSata isn't going to be used for cache anymore, it's kind of useless at the moment. Is there any way I can get it to show up as a drive on windows so that I can store some less important files onto?

1 Message

April 23rd, 2016 07:00

I use the 32GB mSata drive as a recovery windows 10 boot drive...and also backup some personal data on it.

No Events found!