I have a Dell 17R SE 7220 laptop. I regularly clean its heatsink and fan assemble every 2-3 months to keep it running cool, because once the GPU was fried up and was replaced and serviced by Dell. My laptop is still under warranty.
This time it had been a while since i did that, and the laptop overheated too much. Even when using Google Earth, it would heat up and turn itself off, GPU temperatures soaring above 90 degrees Celsius..
This one time it got shutdown while i was away. I came back and found it off. Thought it would be another overheated-auto turn-off. I started it up, but then it refused to start up.
When i press power button, the keyboard lights up, the quickset buttons blink, the Power/HDD indicators light up. and in 2 secs it turns off. The fan does not start spinning though. But that might be because the laptop doesn't get heated up enough for fan to start up. I have checked again for any loose connections, reseated HDD, RAM, Wifi, SSD etc (the ones located just inside the backboard, easily accessible) but nothing works. I tried it both on battery and AC power. I also tried discharging everything by removing battery and holding power button for 30 secs, but doesn't work.
I've checked the forums. Somewhere it says that CPU pins mights be loose. Before opening it up again to re-seat everything on the system board, I'd like to know if there is an easy solution for this.
Good work on troubleshooting. It seems like the system board is faulty. Please send me a private message with the computers service tag, Name registered during the system purchase and email address so that I can check and assist you further. To send a private message, click on my name and select send private message.
Thanks Ravi for the support.
However, I tried resetting the CPU as described in another forum post. And it partially worked.
After resetting CPU and putting everything back together, i started the laptop, but it gave me 5 short beeps repeatedly. It went on indefinitely till i turned off the laptop, and there was no display. I found out that 5 beeps mean coin-cell battery failure. I re-seated that, and started.
Once it gave 5 beeps again, i turned it off. and turned on again. Now it gives 8 beeps. Which means display failure. But pressing 'D'+Power button shows RGB colors on screen. 'Fn'+Power button does not show anything on display and 8 beeps continue to go on.
All keyboard backlights, quick launch keylights, indicators work fine. Fan does NOT spin. The powershare USB ports works well to charge my phone. But there is nothing on display (the display is never turned on, doesn't even flicker unless i use D+Power button display test)
I'm sending you details of my service tag and other things u asked in private message. Help me out.