Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

September 30th, 2013 14:00

Dell 7720SE: Multiple registry failures, cannot run applications or perform a refresh

My Inspiron 7720SE is less than 1 month old, and for the last week I have suffered from multiple software (windows 8) errors.  

It all started after I updated the drivers from the Dell website.

I have tried to refresh the windows build back to a previous version - but I just ended up getting errors every 10 mins at which point the laptop would shut itself down and try to repair itself on restart.  This happened about 10-12 times.

Then I ended up getting registry errors where the laptop would restart, load windows, let me log-in, then it would give me 60 seconds before it would auto-restart again.  It did this about 20 times before I could make out that it was trying to call up a script that seemed to be corrupted: NVcache in the Intel folder.  I managed to get in before the next auto-restart and delete the folder containing that file.  It was the only way of stopping the never-ending automatic restarts.

I tried a system refresh.  Although I created a recovery DVD, the 7720 doesn't seem to be able to read it - although at the time the Dell application said it had been created ok.  It's only about 400Mb, and on a single DVD.

I've also tried using the Dell application to create a factory image.  But again, this is a single disc, which I don't seem to be able to do anything with.  So I don't seem to be able to refresh or reinstall windows 8.

When I start up, Windows 8 seems to load just fine.  However, when I try to use the windows applications (e.g. windows media player) they just won't start.  I can't even get windows defender to run.

I have run AVG PC Tuneup, and it has come back with over 1,000 registry errors.

I've also run the Dell utility to check the hardware, and all hardware is ok.

Please help.  I'm on the verge of sending the laptop back.

1.5K Posts

September 30th, 2013 22:00

Hi jb_1001,

It appears to be an issue with the Windows corruption. I would request you to run on-board diagnostics on the system. Here are the steps:

• Restart the system and immediately start tapping the 'F12' key to enter the 'Boot Menu'.
  • Use the 'Down Arrow' key to highlight the 'Diagnostics' option. Press the 'Enter' key.
  • The diagnostics will begin. Please note the exact error message/code, if any appears on the screen.
  • You may also refer to the video on the link http://dell.to/17DCL0R for more information.

As you are able to boot to Windows, please follow the below mentioned steps to restore the Windows back to factory state. 

Note: This step leads to complete data loss including pictures, music files, videos, documents and applications. Please disconnect any external peripherals as well. 

• Point to the right hand corner of the screen to bring up the charms bar.
  • Click Settings.

• Click the shutdown button, hold down the Shift Key and click Restart from the options provided.

• The system restarts, login and click Troubleshoot.

• Click the Dell Backup and Recovery icon.

• The system restarts and comes back up, click Next on the Dell Backup and Recovery Screen.

• The system would be checked to see if the smart repair option can fix the issue, click Next once this is done.

• You will be prompted to select the backup to be used, click the factory image option or select from one of the backups. Click Next.

• You will be prompted to backup your files, if needed do so by selecting the option Yes, backup my personal files (Make sure to have an external backup hard drive handy.) or select No, Erase my files.

• The system goes ahead and completes the restore of the operating system. Click Restart when prompted.

• Follow the on-screen instructions to setup the system with windows.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

3 Posts

October 1st, 2013 12:00

Hi Saharsh

Thanks for the quick reply.

I followed your instructions...

- I got no error messages or codes on the diagnostics.

- The smart repair option didn't find any issues to fix.

- When I got to the screen to select the backup to use, the list was empty with no options available; not even factory image.

So I still have the same problem!

1.5K Posts

October 2nd, 2013 01:00

Hi jb_1001,

It appears that the recovery partition is corrupt and you will need to install the Windows using the Windows re-installation discs. Please share if you have the re-installation discs with you or not. If not, please share the system's Service Tag and Owner's Name with me via private message (click my username and then click Send a Private Message).

Please reply if you have any questions.

3 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 02:00

Hi, I don't have any re-installation discs, and the back-up disc that I made doesn't work at all.

I will PM you my service tag and owner's name now.

1.5K Posts

October 22nd, 2013 03:00

Hi James,

Glad we could help by fixing your issue. In case of a similar situation in future, you can always refer to the link . Feel free to reach out to us on Support Site http://dell.to/Yjrbbm for any help.

No Events found!