Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 18th, 2009 17:00

Dell 9300 Power issues

I have a sick Dell Inspiron 9300

The symptoms are-

Will not power from just battery though diagnostics and indicators show battery charged and at 100%

Does not power from just adapter. Must have both battery and adapter to get power at all.

Often will not start up even with both adapter and battery.

Randomly shuts down after several minutes (often accompanied by screen dimming) even with both battery and adaptor.

Makes occasional beeps.

Screen intermittently dims for a moment. And sometimes icon in tray flips back and forth between battery and adapter icons.

Sometimes will not start up but fan will go on and battery led will flicker.

What I have done so far-

Installed and reinstalled XP and drivers, updated from internet

Tried taking out each dimm individually to see if it was the memory.

Swapped each dimm into the other slot to see if that made a difference.

Tried 2 other adapters.

Ran entire suite of diagnostics- all tests passed.

What is the deal?

It could be the adapters (they are all older), but that would not explain the inability to operated from a fully charged battery.

Could be that the adapter jack is bad, but then how would it charge the battery, and again why wouldn't the battery operate the computer without the adapter?

It could be that both memory dimms are bad, but I don't really know if this explains it.

Could be that there is some type of what we used to call a pmu (power management unit) that is going bad, but I can find nothing about this online.

It could be that there is some issue/solution/factor that I know nothing about and it is either simple or impossible to fix because of this.

Anyone know what is going on and have a solution?

Thank you,

Derek

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 18th, 2009 17:00

You've pretty much isolated the problem to a faulty system board.

If you have a parallel ATA system (most 9300s):

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=3367

If you have a very late model 9300, it'll have a SATA drive and need this board:

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=5099

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 19th, 2009 15:00

The missing CMOS battery would indeed cause clock time loss IF the main battery were dead or removed from the system - but it would not be responsible for the other symptoms, no.

Check the contacts between the battery (main battery ) and mainboard, and if the power problems continue, you're almost certainly looking at a faulty charging circuit.

3 Posts

April 19th, 2009 15:00

So, since I am not excitied about giving up, especially considering replacement boards are hundreds of dollars, I got an onsale dimm so I was sure it wasnt that and then opened it up. When I took off the keyboard, the cmos battery was entirely disconnected and I'm wondering what the symptoms of that would have been. I did notice that the date kept reverting when I was restarting. So, I have it on for the 24 hours that is supposed to recharge the cmos. And, it has stayed on so far... Anyhow, is it possible that having the cmos battery disconnected could cause the issues I was having?

3 Posts

April 19th, 2009 16:00

Okay, one last ditch question before I ebay this for parts. I have done a piecemeal reinstall and I'm not sure if I was having any of these symptoms before- could this be a driver issue?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 19th, 2009 17:00

Possibly, if the problem shows up only under Windows.  No, if it shows up as a failure to charge properly even when powered off.

No Events found!