Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 23rd, 2010 21:00

Dell Battery says, "Plugged in but not charging." AC adapter not recognized.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 32 bit that has Windows Vista. I originally thought the problem was the battery or ac adapter. I replaced both with the exact same type I was originally given so yes the devices are from dell. The battery sign flashes orange 4 times and blue once. The AC adapter is a PA-12 Family. The replacement battery was 60% charged and working when I received the item, during and after this time I still couldn't charge the battery. I want a straight answer to the problem and hopefully a quick fix because I'm a student. Please help, What could be causing the issue??

5.2K Posts

August 23rd, 2010 23:00

Sorry, no quick easy fix.

You have a problem with the DC power circuity in the laptop. A common problem is broken solder connections in the area of the DC socket. 

Fortunately, the 1525 has a separate charger board that plugs into the system board. It is much less costly to replace this board than the entire system board, as is required in some other laptops. The power board might be able to be re-soldered, but this is difficult with the complex circuity, but it might be worth a try. If you search the web, you will fine mucho similar problems.

539 Posts

August 25th, 2010 02:00

Diagnosing the exact cause is not easy.

Have a look at diagnosing Laptop battery not charging problems.

Cheers!

2 Posts

August 31st, 2010 13:00

I had the same problem: ambar light flashing four times and blue light once, and the battery not charging any more.
I read that updating the BIOS to A17 solved the problem, but to run the update file you need at least 10% charge on your battery. I also read that the problem is because the AC adapter is not recognised. The AC adapter plug have three contacts, the center pin is used for communication between the laptop and the AC adapter. It seems that the pin was not making good contact, so I managed to pull the pin a little bit out and now it works fine. Other people have introduced a copper wire into the laptop pin hole and it also worked.

No Events found!