Highlighted
fpecka
1 Copper

Dell D1000 Docking Station

Hello All,

I work in a school district and we have a number of Dell Latitude 3350 laptops along with a Dell D1000 USB3.0 Dual-Video Docking Station. One of the docking stations has recently started having a strange issue with the USB ports seem to stop working. The video and LAN ports seem perfectly fine and continue to work. But the teacher will lose connectivity to their mouse, keyboard, and document camera.

I can disconnect and reconnect the USB cable to the laptop, but not even 15 minutes later the same issue comes back. I've reinstalled the drivers, and even replaced the entire unit (and it's USB cable) with a brand new one out of the box and the same issue still comes up.

Could this still be a software/driver issue? Or am I potentially looking at a bad USB port on the laptop?

Many thanks for any and all help. Have a great day!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jphughan
5 Tungsten

RE: Dell D1000 Docking Station

A bad USB port on the laptop seems unlikely if your video and LAN traffic are working correctly given that they're also flowing through your laptop's USB port.  You can certainly test another USB port on that laptop (assuming that system has more than one), although even that wouldn't be a conclusive test since all USB ports on a system are often wired to the same controller chip.  Do you have another laptop you can test with?  Otherwise, the best way to rule out drivers would probably be to get the latest version available directly from DisplayLink, which is the company that makes the chips that enable those docks to carry video and other traffic on a USB cable.  Head over to DisplayLink.com for those.  Good luck!

0 Kudos