8 Krypton

Dell D420 - faulty internal RAM?? Only 55 MB of 500 usable

Hello,

I have a Latitude D420. It has 500 MB built-in internal RAM as well as my 1 GB stick that I added. However, with the 1GB stick removed, I go into the BIOS and it tells me that there is 500 MB available but only 55 MB useable. When I add the 1Gb it tells me there's 1.5 GB available but still only 55 MB usable. I also get a memory error message when I switch the computer on.

I am unable to see how much RAM is recognized in Windows becuase the small 55 MB amount always causes the computer to blue-screen when I try to install Windows off aninstallation CD.

Any suggestions - is the internal RAM (and therefore the motherboard) dead, or is there hope for this laptop?

Thanks

0 Kudos
15 Replies
8 Krypton

RE: Dell D420 - faulty internal RAM?? Only 55 MB of 500 usable

Either the slot where the 1GB is inserted is broken or you have an incompatible 1GB memory stick.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Hello,

Thanks for your response.

However, I don't think that would be the case as the problem still persists with the 1 GB stick removed and only using the internal 500 MB.

Thanks

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

WHERE are you seeing 55MB useable?

Post a screenshot. If there was only 55MB useable, you wouldn't be able to run Windows.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

As I said in my original post, I am seeing the 55 MB in the BIOS. I can't run Windows.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

You have no choice but to locate and reseat that 500MB memory module. If that doesn't work, you either have a bad module or a bad socket.

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

The base RAM isn't a module - it's soldered to the system board. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

I don't know how I can do that as it is internal memory which I believe is soldered to the motherboard; I don't even know where it is located. If it is possible though to reseat it I'm happy to try, if you can give me directions on how to do so.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Xenon

It isn't possible to remove the memory.  if it has failed, you will need to replace the mainboard - which includes the processor.

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=category&id=140&subid=140&refine=motherboard

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Thanks for your response.

I am not going to change the main board; it isn't worth it for this laptop: there isn't any other solution is there?

Thanks

0 Kudos