Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 9th, 2013 01:00

Dell D630 shutting down issue

Hi,

I have a Dell Latitude D630 here. I recently reinstalled Windows XP on it, which all went fine, but when I shut down the computer, it just shows my desktop (without the taskbar or icons though) for about ten minutes before shutting down. This long wait is very frustrating. Does anyone know why this might be?

Also, when I click "shut down" in the start menu, the option to "stand by" is greyed out. This has happened to me before on another computer. What is the problem?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

September 9th, 2013 02:00

Hi 846,

Please update the video driver using the link below.

http://dell.to/1ajnX9W Intel video driver.

http://dell.to/1ajo8SC   Nvidia driver

Update the driver in the exact same order. Once the driver is updated check if the same issue persists?

In addition run the hardware diagnostics. Press the FN + Power which will initiate the hardware diagnostics. Let us know if there is any error code listed

51 Posts

September 9th, 2013 04:00

Hi,

Thanks for that.

Is this for the shutting down or the stand by problem though?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

September 11th, 2013 05:00

Hi 846,

Please update the driver which I have mentioned in the previous post, it is applicable for both the issues.

51 Posts

September 16th, 2013 01:00

Hi,

Sorry about the delayed reply, I have been quite busy.

I attempted to install the drivers that you gave me, however the first one (the Intel one) said that the installation failed because my computer didn't meet the minimum system requirements..

The NVIDIA one installed fine, but the only difference it made to the issue is that instead of showing my desktop for 5-10 mins when shutting down, it shows my desktop  (still without taskbar or desktop icons) with a small box on it that says "Windows is logging off" or something like that.

Thanks

51 Posts

September 16th, 2013 03:00

The screenshot apears not to have come through; I will try again,

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

Hi 846,

Please provide me the snap shot of the device manager with the display adapter expanded. Follow the steps below.

Start> in search box >type Device Manager >double click on Device Manager. The Device Manager screen will open. Click on display adapter and expand it.

Once I get the information I will assist you further.

51 Posts

Hi,

Here is the screenshot:

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

September 18th, 2013 02:00

Hi 846,

Please run the hardware diagnostics to check if the hardware is working as designed, press the Fn + power this will intitate the hardware diagnostics. Let us know if there is any error code listed.

51 Posts

September 20th, 2013 04:00

There was no error.

Actually I can't see how it would be a hardwaer issue as the problem was not present prior to my re-installing Windows on the laptop.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

51 Posts

September 20th, 2013 14:00

Are you suggesting that I reinstall all the drivers?

If so, is there any necessity to uninstall other drivers first?

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

September 23rd, 2013 03:00

Hi 846,

I am sorry for the delayed response, please uninstall the video driver from ‘Add or remove programs’ follow the steps below.

Start > control panel > add or remove programs > select the video driver > right click on it and click uninstall.

Restart the computer and then reinstall the drivers which I have provided in my previous post.

Let me know about the progress.

51 Posts

September 23rd, 2013 04:00

Thanks for your reply.

I took the steps that you recommended but they achieved nothing and the issue persists.

I am very grateful for your help; have you any other suggestions?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

September 25th, 2013 03:00

Hi 846,

I am sorry for the delayed response; please check if the same issue persists in safemode. Follow the steps below.

Shut down the computer, tap F8 during start up.

51 Posts

October 6th, 2013 02:00

Sorry for the delayed reply.

The issue is not present in safe mode.

Thanks

No Events found!