Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

November 9th, 2015 23:00

Dell D630 with nvidia 135M GPU: any system board revision fixed?

Hello Dell community,

I think about prolonging the use of my D-Dock environment by buying a Dell D630. I know about the nvidia GPU problem and I couldn't find any prove that there is a HW fix by Dell (e.g. new System board revision).

I know that there are two part numbers for the system board with nvidia GPU: R872J and R873J.

1) Is one of them a fixed one or suffer both from the same problem? If so, what is the difference?

If there never was a hardware fix by Dell, does it make any sense to:
2) try getting a system board produced later (e.g. close to september 2008) or within a specific period?
3) use a copper shim to improve heat dissipation of the GPU as some people recommended?
4) use the "new" heatsink DT785 as described here: http://www.sevenforums.com/pc-custom-builds-overclocking/180440-dell-d630-cooling-mods.html

I use get a T9300 for acceptable speed on the board.

If somebody has a many-years experience using the D630 with nvidia GPU and still not having the video problems, that would be a great to know. I could improve my guess whether it is worth the hassle to get a D630 or not (or get a D630 with Intel GPU - but I'm not sure if the Intel GPU is up to the task of the 3D Unity Desktop Environment on dual screen, so that's my reasoning getting the nvidia board).

Usage: dual screen with Office + Internet + sometimes a Virtual Machine + (!) watching movies. I currently have a D430 but it can sputter with 1080p movies, 720p mostly work fine. The D630 should not only give me a faster VM but also a better movie watching experience.

thank you,

Tim

November 10th, 2015 03:00

Hi EJN63,

thank you for your input, I was afraid that the problem was never fixed.

I know that the D630 is dated.

So if somebody has any long-time experience with the D630 nvidia board and could share it here (and whether the updated heatsink + copper shim matter), that would be awesome.

Tim

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 10th, 2015 03:00

The most widely held thought is that nVidia never did the re-engineering necessary to fix these GPUs - that is, they're all defective.  That doesn't mean they will all fail -- but the failure rates are high, and these are systems that are well past their design lives to begin with.

No Events found!