Highlighted
andersa1974
1 Copper

Dell Dimension 5150 upgrade PSU

Hi,

I have upgraded my graphics card for my Dimension 5150 desktop - the new card specifies a power supply of at least 350watts - Can anyone recommend a psu that will fulfill my power needs, not cost very much (approx £40 - £60) and fit in my machine easily?

I was looking at the Antec EarthWatts 380   http://www.ambros.co.uk/product/1031/antec-earthwatts-380-watt-power-supply.html as a starter for 10.

Any help would be really appreciated

kind regards

Anders

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Dell Dimension 5150 upgrade PSU

Hi andersa1974, Your manual is HERE, and it states you have an 305w PSU in your system. With that in mind, you wont have to buy an new PSU, your current PSU will run an graphics card that requires 350w. This is because manufactors do overstate the power for their cards, and dell do understate the power for their PSU's. My PSU is an 250w, but yet i can run an 300w graphics card.

If this answers your question, could you please mark the verify answer(s) to help other users out.:emotion-21:

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
andersa1974
1 Copper

Re: Dell Dimension 5150 upgrade PSU

Thanks for the prompt reply Robin,

I went ahead and installed the card without doing anything with the PSU.

After updating the driver for the new card successfully, things initially seemed to be ok, but when I replugged in my usb devices the pc would not boot and I could not hear the fan on the graphics card starting up. Unplugging the usb devices allows the system to boot. I now believe I do need to upgrade the PSU so that all the devices I use can draw power. (It was worth a go to find out though).

As I said in my first post I would be grateful for any recommendation for a PSU that would definitely fit in my Dimension 5150 and can up the wattage on my current PSU which produces 305watts.

thanks

Anders

0 Kudos