Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 17th, 2013 23:00

Dell Driver Analyze Utility - not working

I've been trying to run the Dell Driver Analyze Utility to check for drivers updates on my recently bought Inspiron 17R SE . 

Every time is run the utility first I get :

Initializing the Dell Driver Analyze Utility

Scan Progress Image  We are initializing the Dell Driver Analyze Utility... one moment please.
and after a few minutes :
We're sorry
 We're sorry, we were unable to analyze your system. Please return to the Drivers Home Return to 
Tech support gave me useless answer like " there is a temporary system problem, check back in 24 hours"
or even worse :
"why do you want to update the drivers, there is no need for that, if the system is working fine!!!
Anyone with my same problem,
P_

2 Posts

November 9th, 2013 10:00

I'm having exactly the same problem as Paky.  I just want my system analysed to establish that I have the latest drivers installed, and I think it's unacceptable that in the nearly 4 months that this post has been waiting, Dell haven't come up with an answer nor even had the courtesy to keep the thread updated with their progress.

8 Posts

November 9th, 2013 11:00

I think it's clear that Dell no longer has any connection with this issue, and only a very slight connection to consumer help at this level. The driver detect utility continues to be entirely useless. It's really sad - such a simple thing to provide on behalf of consumers...

2 Posts

November 16th, 2013 15:00

Like all the users above, I'm experiencing the same problem.

Really sad to see the Dell deprecation. And I mean it, It's not that a guy from Dell is unable to offer a professional answer if not a solution.

But it's about having a computer and being unable to properly update a critical area like the drivers. The Dell computer itself becomes a relic. Of course I won't probably look for a Dell as my next comp if such situations persist, and Dell should be normally aware of the risks. The reputation is hardly gained but easy to lose.

From my point of view, even the technical approach is naive, to say the least. Let's see - we have a My Dell central application already on our laptops. It would be quite natural to make from here a call to a Dell web service and automatically send a snapshot of the system with whatever information Dell needs. Then a result is sent back with the drivers that need update. The same app could then download all the stuff and install it with presumably admin rights.

It's so simple and robust that I'm puzzled when I see this twisted solution they imagined, with this resident Dell System Detect app launched from outside and all the stuff.

Good night Dell, hope you will wake up.

45 Posts

December 7th, 2013 10:00

A few days ago the analyze program was working.  The past two days I have not been able to get it to work properly.  Looking at updates available, will not tell me if I already have them installed.  I do have the Dell System Detect initiated.  Oh well, this is a shame.

February 5th, 2014 22:00

Yes Paky,  If Dell tech said:
  "why do you want to update the drivers, there is no need for that, if the system is working fine!",

. . . then why do they have "recommended" updates ?

So if there is a Dell technician reading this, if you can give a simple, patient answer that gives us an overview of what to expect out of the update system, that would be very appreciated.

(Compare to Microsoft updates: Windows has updates, even though the system is working "fine".  ...and I trust those updates are for a reason) 

Dell,  .... we all just want to be proactive and optimize our machines with the latest and best. 

(I recently updated my BIOS from A07 to A16, and my system was working "fine".  Should I have not?)  

~Waraji
P.S.   My three month old, very low mileage e6410 has this quirk:  Sometimes when I turn it on I get a black screen w/back-light off, and HD is spinning with no reads or writes. 
Once I allowed this to go several minutes, observing, and the cooling fan eventually came on.  The only way out of this state, is to hold down the power button to shut down.  So then I power up again, and it always takes me to the black & white "windows did not shut down successfully..." screen with options to start in safe mode etc.  So I select "start normally" and then Windows starts and loads correctly and perfectly.  Happens every 2 - 7 days.  ...and it keeps knocking down my Action Center / Reliability Monitor rating because "windows did not shut down properly".

No Events found!