Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

December 13th, 2016 16:00

Dell E6530 won't turn on and the light on the charger shuts off when plugged into laptop

Today the battery was getting low so I plugged in the laptop. As soon as I did that it shut off. I can't get it to turn back on, no lights come on and it doesn't even try to turn on. I noticed that when I plug the charger into the laptop the green light on my charger shuts off. If I unplug the charger from the wall and wait a few seconds then plug it back in the green light will come back on, but then turn off as soon as I plug it into my laptop. I've tried a known good charger on my laptop, same thing happens to it. I also tried my charger on a known good laptop and my charger works. I tried removing my battery and using only electrical power, still nothing. The charger voltages are all fine, the wall voltages are all fine, it's something with the laptop itself. Any input?

Thanks,

Wayne.

2K Posts

December 16th, 2016 15:00

Hi WAYNEO88,

Are you using an original Dell OEM Adapter? When you plug in the adapter to the system, does the adapter stay firm or does it fall off easily? Is the adapter frayed? Is there any damage on the system?

Please check if there is any damage on the machine. Check if all the ports on the machine are fine or misaligned. Sometimes if the pins in the USB ports are touching each other, they are known to cause many issues on the machine.

Based on your description, the system is shorting when the adapter is connected. Since you have tested another adapter, next component to be replaced would be the DC port - this is the part you would need - http://bit.ly/2cYi5fE

If that does not fix the issue, then the motherboard needs to be replaced. If there is no warranty, you could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!