Highlighted
Reinkaoswolf
1 Copper

Dell Inspiration 14 (5447) - randomly turns off/standy/sleep mode when I move the laptop. Need help please!

Hi! I'm new here and I need some help! Yesterday I bought a manufacturer refurbished Dell Inspiration  14 (5447) and I found 2 small problems so far.

The first one: The laptop magically turns off. I mean it looks like it turns off but actually goes into sleep mode/standby when I try to move it somewhere. For example: If I put the laptop on my lap - the screen goes black. Now I can't do anything but to press the power button so I can turn the laptop back on. But wait! I have to stay still and not move the laptop in order to do so. No matter where I put the laptop. It goes into sleep/standby mode. Even I hold it in the air and move a little - BAM! Yesterday was ok but today the laptop started to turn off more often.

The second problem: This morning I noticed that when I turn the laptop on a message appears saying: "Checking media: Fail" or something like that then the laptop restarts. It does that 2-3 times before the laptop finally boots. It never happend before! 

Any sollutions ? Advice? Thank you so much! The laptops looks like is in warranty until 2018.

Laptop config:

i5 4210u@ 1.70Ghz

4gb Ram

Graphic card : Radeon R7 M260 2gb 

0 Kudos
1 Reply

RE: Dell Inspiration 14 (5447) - randomly turns off/standy/sleep mode when I move the laptop. Need help please!

Hi REINKAOSWOLF,

What is the current OS installed on the system?

Disable the sleep mode and check if the system goes to sleep when moved - Control Panel -> Power Options -> choose action for closing the lid - set it to do nothing. Then move the system and check if the display goes blank.

Keep the system on a flat surface and connect an external monitor. Swivel the LCD back and forth and check if the display goes blank on both internal LCD and the external monitor. 

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Keep us updated.

Thanks and Regards,
DELL-Rishi
Social Media and Communities Professional
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos