Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 20th, 2014 18:00

Dell Inspirion N5110 USB 3.0 and Windows 7

So my dell insprion n5110 has a broken usb 2.0 and a broken cd/dvd drive. From what I've read you can't install windows 7 thru a usb 3.0 only the 2.0 port on the left side. Has anyone found a way to use the 3.0 USB to install windows 7 / Vista?

459 Posts

March 20th, 2014 19:00

HI DCY89,

Long story short Boot from disk bro until you can replace the broken USB 2.0/Audio/Ethernet Assembly Board for installing Windows like normal.

Portable USB 3.0 BD/DVD/CD External Drive for the install.

Does the SATA Port work??

3 Posts

March 21st, 2014 07:00

ALSO here are insturctions for creating your hirens boot cd on a USB stick.

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd-on-usb-disk

3 Posts

March 21st, 2014 07:00

THIS FOR ONLY FOR PEOPLE THAT ONLY HAVE A USB 3.0 as a option for installing windows on Inspirion n5110

Thanks for replieing so quickly. After hitting my head against the wall for a few more hours I found a work around for my broken USB2.0 and CD/DVD drive. I used a fresh copy of windows 7 and a disk called Hirens Boot CD 15.6 loaded all files onto a flash drive and then prepared the HDD for installing windows by following the instructions from the link below.

You have to have a copy of Windows 7 32-bit(doesnt matter what version) also a copy of whatever version you want to install i used 64-bit home prem for my install.

and a copy of hirens boot cd wich you can get for free anywhere online

use hirens boot cd and load mini windows xp

copy /boot/bootsect.exe from the 32-install and save it

copy your 64-bit files to the hdd and replace the bootsect.exe with the 32-bit one.

set up boot sector and restart

remember to get and copy of WIFI/ETHERNET drivers so you can get online and get the rest of the drivers after install.

use this to format and copy all necessarry files to the HDD you want to install windows on.

i'm not very good at writing tutoriols but i hope this can help someone.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-Windows-7-without-USB-or-DVD-without-upgra/

No Events found!