Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2016 12:00

Dell Inspiro 5720 Wont Boot Just Black Screen

My Dell Inspiron 5720 wont boot, on pressing the power button it shows the lights the 3 icon lignts light up and they go off. The screen is blank but nothing happens.

I have searched the forum and google.. Tried booting after removing battery, tried to book with recovery disc and nothing seems to work. 

This seems to be a common problem on Insprion 5720 ... please help.

2K Posts

December 10th, 2016 13:00

Hi APATANI,

Does the power led stay on after the status leds go off? Does the system stay on? Does this happen with or without the adapter connected?

Press and hold the fn key + power button to turn on the system and it should initiate the diagnostics - check for any possible beep codes.

Run the LCD bist - Turn off the system and press and hold the "D" key + power button to turn on the system and it should run the LCD built in self test - see this link for more info - http://dell.to/1SkXNrG

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Keep us updated.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 10th, 2016 14:00

It's time for a replacement mainboard.

4 Posts

On pressing the fn key and powering up even after waiting a while nothing comes up. The power LED does stay on... tried various combination with and without adapter... with and without battery.

LCD bist did work on powering up holding the D key flashed various colors on the screen and they were bright and clear.

As requested I did message you the service tag number.

2K Posts

Hi APATANI,

Thank you for the update.

When you tried the fn key + power button, did you hear any beeps? 

Restart the system and check if you are able to toggle the caps lock.

Connect an external monitor and check if there is any display.

If nothing works, then I would suspect a motherboard failure.

As there is no warranty, then you could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

You could also order the parts here - http://bit.ly/2gncnm0

My personal suggestion is that you invest your money on a new machine than to repair this system. However, that is your discretion.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

4 Posts

December 10th, 2016 15:00

Called Dell ... its $190 for mother board and $290 for them to fix it. This seems like a manufacturing flaw as there are many posts with similiar problem for this laptop series.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 10th, 2016 16:00

It's not possible to draw that conclusion -- this is a 4+ year old system, after all.  Notebooks do fail - and it's been end of life for over a year (3 years is generally considered the useful life of a notebook).

If they offered you a board for $190, that's quite reasonable.  

2 Posts

December 10th, 2016 20:00

This can be a motherboard problem, you can just visit a nearby service center, for the solution.

No Events found!