Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 16th, 2014 13:00

Dell Inspiron 11 3147 Battery "Not Charging"

This new Dell Inspiron 11 3147 just arrived today.

The AC Adapter is "plugged in" but the battery is "not charging."

I've looked all over for help for this, Dell Diagnostic has found no problem, and I've had trouble getting a hold of customer service. The most commonly suggested idea has been to uninstall and reinstall the Microsoft ACPI Complian Control Method Battery driver, which I have done.

The only thing I haven't messed with is the battery itself, which doesn't seem to be accessible without damaging the back, which is screwed on and secured well.

Any idea what's wrong?

1 Message

January 20th, 2016 14:00

If you have exhausted the BIOS and diagnostics routes, try borrowing the same AC adapter from someone who does not have the problem.  It could be that the AC adapter is at fault.  If, like me, you cannot borrow one, you can get one fairly cheaply--certainly more cheaply than a whole new system if you are out of warranty.  There is a transistor-like part inside the brick that identifies the adapter to the laptop, and its connections can come loose, its code can become corrupted, etc.

January 23rd, 2016 17:00

I say *** on this. The 'little white connector" hes talking about is the mouse pad connector and I doubt the pins where bent as they have plastic on both side of the pins.

February 8th, 2016 10:00

I tried this and the issue resurfaced the next day. I am not tech savvy as this is used by a senior. All she does is use Office products. No gaming or internet for that matter.  It is about 14 months old and too young to have it go so soon. It is no longer under warrenty. Any other suggestions? There is no way we can dismantle the laptop.

Thanks,

Judy

April 2nd, 2016 12:00

You are SPOT on! Replaced battery...was looking for charger, then saw your post. Yep, the little pin was bent, straightened it out, plugged it in and VIOLA! Thank you, sir!!!! ( Unplug charger B4 you do this, please)

1 Message

April 2nd, 2016 16:00

I tried this and it worked for only a few minutes, then the error message came back again. I checked the settings once again after restarting using F2, the changes were saved. I only purchased this laptop several hours ago.. I am really frustrated and disappointed at this as my laptop won't charge. 

14 Posts

May 16th, 2016 18:00

I just got a 3147 in the shop. This thing is not powering on at all. No light when you plug in the power cord. I measured the voltage on the power cord and the 19.5 volts is dancing around from 19.2 to 19.6 and not stable. I've tried a few other adapters with a similar connector and ratings with the same result.

I've measured 12.65 volts on the motherboard in a few different locations. Without having a schematic and the time to poke around, there's not much that this tells me other than voltage is getting to the motherboard and being converted from 19.5 to 12.5.

I pulled the battery and tried measuring its voltage using small wire leads, but I'm never able to get any readings. I'm not sure if there's a bad battery then the whole system won't power on at all and no visual indicator that anything's plugged in either. Like no power light or charging light if the battery is bad. Or since the laptop can't power on and charge then that's why the battery seems to have no voltage.

I've tested the power switch and it seems to be closing contacts and functioning okay.

I have seen some tablets and phones fail to power on until the battery has a minimum charge even while plugged in. Not sure if this laptop is the same.

I've tested the CMOS battery and swapped out the RAM. Even tried pulling the wifi adapter. There's just no indicator of power other than measuring 12.65 volts internally.

I've checked the warranty status and somehow it says it has "return to depot" and "limited tech support" from 2/7/16 to 2/6/17. Not sure what this means if it will be a free fix or I'll have to pay for the fix the depot does.

EDIT: By the way I've tested the hard drive health and it has a 84% health, 16 bad and moved sectors. It's a Seagate which has a really bad track record for longevity. Even if the power was something fixable, I'm not sure this laptop is worth it since it has a Seagate hard drive.

EDIT2: Looking at the picture posted on page 2 of this thread, I measured the voltage on the battery contacts on the motherboard. There's 8 contacts, from left to right the first 3 are ground, then the 4th measured 3.265 volts, 5th = 3.294, 6th = 3.294, 7th = 11.18, 8th = 11.18. So it appears the voltage may be going to the battery on pins 7 & 8 but the battery may possibly be failing to charge, hence maybe a bad battery. But it still doesn't explain why I don't see any power light, battery light, or no signs of life when trying to turn it on.

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

September 28th, 2016 15:00

This answer reflects the condition of the 3147 that I worked on this week. The center pin on the AC adapter was bent, preventing it from plugging in completely and smoothly.

If you see any silver between the body of the laptop and the plastic hood of the charger, it's not fully inserted. As was suggested in this thread, I used a jeweler's screwdriver to re-center the pin on the adapter, and it plugged flush into the laptop.

The laptop began charging again without making the adaptive-standard BIOS setting change also proposed in this thread, but I'll keep this in mind if I see any change in charging behavior.  

December 4th, 2016 09:00

So recommendations would be to contact dell suoport about thi issues. Computer will also not update

No Events found!