Natalie040891
1 Copper

Dell Inspiron 1300 Mic prob & Sound output.

Hi, Right firstly, i currently have been using my mic on my computer which worked perfectly fine then one day i decided to go to Start >> Control Panel >> Sounds & Audio devices >> Audio >> Test Hardware....it then searched for a sound but no sound was detected although i was using my mic perfectly 2-3mins before and because there was no sound detected i now plug my mic in and it isn't recognized by my computer as before i would plug it in and a small box would appear. Secondly, I use a program call CamFrog which is a video chat program and this is were i usually use my mic..but i was also told i could play music through my sound card which everyone else seems to manage..but i cant seem too. I dont know how to switch to my sound card and the audio software im using is SigmaTel Audio which nobody seems to have. So can someone please help me. Many thanks, Natalie
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

Re: Dell Inspiron 1300 Mic prob & Sound output.

"i now plug my mic in and it isn't recognized by my computer as before i would plug it in and a small box would appear. "

To get the box to appear, go to the Control Panel, select Sigmatel, and check 'allow popups'.

"I dont know how to switch to my sound card "

I don't see your OS mentioned. Here is the path for XP:

Open Audio Properties (right click on the volume icon on the taskbar and click 'adjust audio properties', or go through the Control Panel/Sounds & Audio Devices Properties). Select the Audio tab. There will be dropdown boxes under 'sound playback' 'sound recording' and 'midi music'. Each box will list the drivers of the devices that are installed on your computer. You select the one you want to use and that effectively deselects the others. Select 'Sigmatel' for playback. to use your external mic, select Sigmatel for recording also.

If you mean you can't can't find 'stereo mix' (also called 'wav out', 'mix', and 'whatuhear', Dell has locked it in the inf files of the Sigmatel's driver. The instructions to unlock it are in that other thread you posted on.

"SigmaTel Audio which nobody seems to have."

??? Most of us with Inspirons have it. It's the only audio chip Dell has used for years.

Jim

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

Re: Dell Inspiron 1300 Mic prob & Sound output.

Hi Natalie

Try reinstalling your sound driver.

Look for R122161 on the dell website if this link does not work:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

Good luck & have a good day/night.
Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos