Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 25th, 2016 08:00

Dell Inspiron 14 5459 suddenly black screen and shut down

I have a laptop Dell Inspiron 14 5459. Sometimes when I work it suddenly black screen and the fan so noisy. After that, I must press the power button to turn it off  with force. It happens about 3-4 times while I work (typing or just browsing the internet). 

Could you please help me with this situation? What can I do? Fyi I have run the diagnostics and did not found any error.

Thank you for you support

2K Posts

June 25th, 2016 19:00

Hi ZADRIANARDI,

Does this happen with or without the adapter connected? What applications are using when the display goes blank? Is the mouse cursor still seen and active when the display goes blank? Does the system overheat? Are there any bluescreens / system crashes? 

Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/28V3xvh - and reinstall the chipset drivers and video drivers from the same site and check if it works fine.

If the issue is still unresolved, then connect an external monitor and check if display goes blank on the external monitor and the LCD.

Restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS - do not make any changes here - leave the system in BIOS environment for as long as possible with the adapter connected  and see if the display goes blank while in BIOS.

Write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Keep us updated.

June 26th, 2016 06:00

Hi Rishi

Thanks a lot for your quick response. It happen with and without adapter connected. While this is happen, I used Microsoft Excel program or browsing the internet using Chrome. Sometimes the mouse cursor still seen, but mostly the screen just black and I must turn it down forcefully. There aren't  blue-screens or system crashes and mostly the fan so noisy and overheat.

I'll try to update BIOS and reinstall chipset and video drivers.

I will inform you the latest update.

Thank you.

2K Posts

June 26th, 2016 11:00

Hi ZADRIANARDI,

Thank you for the update.

Please also try an external monitor and other steps as advised in my previous response to help isolate the source. 

If the system is under warranty, please private message me the requested details.

Keep us updated at your convenience. 

November 6th, 2016 09:00

Hi Rishi, I´m having the exact same issue with my inspiron 5437 screen.

I've already had to change the screen of the laptop beacuse it stopped working so the problem is happening with this new screen ( i've already taken it to refund and they told me the screen is in optimal conditions).

I've tried updating the BIOS and also the chipset drivers as you suggested but the problem is still on.

Also I´ve runned the DELL Diagnostic and it said that the hardware is properly working. Could it be that my laptop isn't compatible with the latest Intel drivers?

Something that i've noticed is that the image on the screen is actually still visible but with reaaally low backlight.

Thank you in advance for your support!

2K Posts

November 6th, 2016 14:00

Hi DANIELSANTALLA,

Does an external monitor work fine?

The Intel drivers should work fine without any issues. 

Test an external monitor and keep me posted.

November 6th, 2016 14:00

Hi Rishi, thank you for the quick response!

An external monitor works fine, even if I plug it in after the blackout.

Everytime the screen goes black I have to close my laptop and open it after a few seconds, sometimes it makes the image appear again and sometimes it doesn´t and I have to turn it off.

Thank you

November 7th, 2016 08:00

Hi there,

The backlight of the screen constantly turns off when I'm using it. It happens with and without the charger connected and it mostly happens when the computer's battery reaches to around the 80% of charge. The main problem is that without the backlight the image is barely visible but I know this is not an issue of my system turning off beacuse if a put a lamp in front of the screen i can barely see my desktop and my mouse moving.

I've restored to Factory, updated the BIOS, the graphics card driver and the chipset as suggested in this post en.community.dell.com/.../19984044 and the problem still goes on. I've already made the test of connecting a external monitor to the laptop when the screen is black and the image IS visible in the external monitor.

Also, is worth to mention that this is not an hardware issue; i've already taken it to a repair store and I've runned the Dell Diagnostic support and both said that the hardware is in optimal conditions.

Thank you in advance for your support.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 7th, 2016 08:00

ttt

2K Posts

November 7th, 2016 10:00

Hi DANIELSANTALLA,

Thank you for the update.

Swivel the LCD back and forth and check if the display appears / disappears when you run these tests:

Run the LCD bist - Turn off the system and press and hold the "D" key + power button to turn on the system and it should run the LCD built in self test - see this link for more info - http://dell.to/1SkXNrG

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional.

If swiveling the LCD makes a difference, then the LCD cable might be loose.

If there is no warranty, then download the service manual here - http://dell.to/2eFZDJF - and reseat the LCD cable.

You could try replacing the LCD cable - this is the part you need - http://bit.ly/2fsIRfH

If that does not resolve the issue, the LCD needs to be replaced. Now, you have mentioned in your post that the LCD was already replaced. Was the entire assembly replaced or was it only the screen? Was the part designed for your system?

If the entire LCD assembly was replaced and the part is compatible to work with the system model, then the motherboard needs to be replaced, reason being the LCD connector is part of the motherboard.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!