Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 29th, 2014 06:00

Dell Inspiron 14 7437 display stopped working

Problem in short:  My laptop display is not working; however an external monitor is working via HDMI.  Interestingly, the touch screen capabilities still work despite there being nothing displayed. (The touch motions register on the external monitor because i have it set to 'clone display'.)

Long version:  This past weekend, after a Windows update, upon the next boot, my display was no longer working.  I get nothing; no boot screen info, windows login screen, nothing.  I can use an external monitor, which I am doing right now, via the HDMI connection, so I am certain that my video card hardware is functioning.  I just performed a full Dell diagnostics and everything passed.  I have tried the following:

-  Update to latest BIOS (A05)

-Update to latest Intel video drivers (receive error trying to install)

-Tried rolling back video drivers, but was unsuccessful due to (what I think) is inability to enter Safe Mode

-Perform a system restore to a save point prior to the last Windows Update (unsuccessful again, due to the fact that upon System Restore initiated restart, I cannot select options due to having no usable display).

At this point, I think my my display might have simply gone bad and I must get a replacement.  I am under warranty still and plan to contact Dell directly to address the issue.  In the mean time, are there any suggestions on other potential solutions?

Thanks in advance for any help or comments.

2 Posts

December 24th, 2014 09:00

Have you had this resolved?  Interesting that no one has responded or questioned this.  I am having a similar issue with two out of three of my 14 7000's.  Both have dead video's.  

Now I find out Dell has stopped selling or even offering the 14 7000.  Here today, gone tomorrow without a peep.  Has me wondering if this is a bigger problem than I first thought.

Any help on your end would be appreciated.

1 Message

January 6th, 2015 14:00

Interesting indeed. I purchased the Inspiron 14 7437 in January 2014. In November 2014, the screen died, and the power wouldn't stay on - the computer would just shut down after less than a minute. Nothing. No lights, nobody's home. Dell scheduled a service technician but the day s/he was supposed to show up, I received an e-mail that the replacement parts were unavailable, so Dell sent a replacement. The replacement sounded like an airplane getting ready to take off and it was diagnosed with a dying hard drive. I sent that one back and they sent another replacement. The touch screen doesn't work. Spent 4.5 hours with technical support and with system updates on the second replacement while in the meantime the support person scheduled a technician to come replace the LCD. While in the middle of the updates on the phone, he informed me that the LCD is not available and is EOL (end of life... they no longer have it), so they wanted to send me yet a third replacement of the same laptop. WHY would I want another one of the same thing? Clearly there is an issue with this model. As you stated, I also noted in December that Dell has stopped making this laptop. Obviously there have been ongoing issues with this model. They should just scrap all of their refurbished systems and chalk it up to poor engineering/design.

I have been without a working computer for 7 weeks now. In the meantime, the warranty expires in 2 weeks... For a "mere" $300+, I can extend the warranty (on a laptop for which replacement parts are no longer available) for 2 years.

1 Message

February 5th, 2015 06:00

I purchased two 7437, one in September and another in October 2014.  The most recent purchase has had the same problem with the built in display after just 3 months of use.  Black display, touchscreen works, HDMI works, etc.

Dell Support first tried to dispatch for repair, but there are no parts available.

Next they were going to replace the computer, but there are no refurbished units available.

Now they are offering an entirely different refurbished laptop to replace my 3 month old laptop.

I am currently trying to determine if the replacement laptop meets the same criteria I used to choose the 7437 model. 
I am also waiting to hear how this exchange will effect my warranty. 

I'll have to decide whether or not to extend the warranty on my other laptop since it appears that it will be unrepairable.  I assume that if Dell can't repair the computer, Dell will replace the computer under an extended warranty.

Dell Support has been very helpful and I am certainly not complaining about the service, but I am concerned about this as I did not expect this situation to arise. 

2 Posts

February 5th, 2015 06:00

Sounds very similar to my experience. I currently have a paper weight that was a 7437 with only a year on it. Just lasted through the warranty period! 1 of three purchased is still working. The other one the failed was within warranty. They tried to replace it with a 5437 model. NO! They came back with a 7547 which is the 15" model. That was my only option. I have been doing business with Dell since 1994, with companies I have worked for as well as my own purchases and have never had this problem. They abandoned their product and left their customer to pick up the pieces. I am never and will never buy another Dell. Ever.

1 Message

August 6th, 2015 22:00

Hi everyone

I had the same issue and solved it.  

that issue happened because of the graphic chip (it was damaged), i replaced it and the screen is working just fine.

1 Message

August 27th, 2015 13:00

Hi,

How did you replaced the graphic chip? I have a same issue and want to replace it by myself.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,

1 Message

November 25th, 2015 18:00

Hi,

Could you tell us what part number or which graphic chip you changed, please provide us detail, we have same issue, Dell is asking $300 to fix it. I am hopping your suggestion will help us.

Please help us, giving detail of the graphic chip which we need to order and how to change it.

Regards,

1 Message

March 25th, 2016 16:00

inspiron `4 7000 series models, at least what i have seen, have builtin graphics. Replacing this chip will require you to have BGA ReWork station and years of experience working with BGA chips, thats first, second - graphics chip or GPU is actually built in to the intel cpu, which is SOLDERED to the motherboard, so unless you will replace your CPU or whole motherboard.... Other problem may relate to the LVDS connector or screen cable connector that gets disconnected from motherboard or from screen itself with all consequences. Be careful with LVDS cable as its alive even if laptop is off, you can worsen problem if not done properly. Overall, these laptops look and feel great, they seem to be not reliable at all. 

1 Message

September 1st, 2016 21:00

Even I have the same problem, every thing looks good, even touch is working but display not working. Let me know if someone knows the solution.

September 30th, 2016 00:00

My wife has one of these, and hers is experiencing the same problem. The touch screen works, and I can connect the laptop to our LCDTV, and get a picture. This makes me think the problem is NOT with the graphics chip, but perhaps with the cable that connects the screen to the motherboard?

It sounds like this was a problem from the get-go, and Dell never addressed it correctly. I've bought quite a few Dell's over the years, and have been generally satisfied with their performance, and customer service. But My wife's 7347 was our last Dell.

October 13th, 2016 01:00

mine stopped working 6 months ago, and i've never bothered to fix it.

it's interesting how so many of us have same issue.

HDMI, Touch works, just no display haha, any fixes?

October 28th, 2016 14:00

I have the same problem, since 2 weeks. Touch still works. Anyone found a solution yet?

1 Message

November 22nd, 2016 19:00

Mine has the same symptoms, no display, touch works and external monitor works.  NOTE, If I shine a bright light on the screen you can see the proper image that changes as it should.  The BackLight is bad , poor connection or computer is not telling it to light up.   I plan to replace the backlight (and may have to replace the screen assembly as a unit.  Cost looks to be around $50.  Surprising that with all the similar problems Dell only tells me to pay the $250 for a year of support and buy whatever parts they want to sell me (screen seems to be unavailable from them, but others have it in stock.)

1 Message

March 5th, 2017 22:00

I also purchased the Ultrabook Inspiron 14 7437 core i7 in June 2014. everything worked fine for a year but after that display stopped working.  touch, HDMI works properly, i can use external monitor but display always shows either black or gray screen with multiple stripes.

dell support came up with cost of display that sounds like a JOKE. the cost of display (only part)  is $650. This is really crazy, we can get new laptop in this much amount.

No Events found!