Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2010 06:00

Dell Inspiron 1464 cooling fan

I purchased an Inspiron 1464 from staples with 500GB hard drive, 4GB RAM, and a 2.13 GHz Intel i3 processor.  My cooling fan comes on every two minutes and runs for 20 seconds and its driving me crazy.  Its been this way since I purchased it last week and it happens even when I'm not connected to the internet.

Is this happening to other 1464 owners?  Your comments are greatly appreciated.

1 Message

February 6th, 2010 11:00

Nopes. I have 1464 and its just working fine....My cooling fan turns on when i play games....

3 Posts

February 13th, 2010 18:00

yes, i have the same problem and I am totally irritated because of this. The fan starts every minute and then goes off and then starts again. All this irrespective of what I am doing..browsing ..documents..or just reading a pdf.

In case you have any resolution to this problem please post it. thanks.

3 Posts

February 14th, 2010 07:00

no solutions yet.  I took off the dell docking, fast access facial recognition, mcfee antivirus, and several other programs to strip my computer to bare bones....fan still comes on and off like before.  I have 12 days on the dell warranty and will call dell tomorrow morning for advice.  The cooling fan on my 10 year old Gateway laptop hardly ever comes on, and the fan is costantly on with my brand new dell.

2 Posts

February 15th, 2010 20:00

I have the same problem and make me very crazy. Any update information , please let me know it .Thank you so much.

3 Posts

February 18th, 2010 16:00

there is one option you can try..

In the power settings - processor power management - cooling policy you can set the "passive" policy when on battery and "active" when connected.

Atleast, when connected the fan would run continuously and wont go on-off again n again.

G

2 Posts

February 20th, 2010 16:00

my computer has already set up like this but still very noise. 

1 Message

March 22nd, 2010 07:00

I also purchased the same model at Staples.  My fan situation is worse because it goes on and off constantly.  I would say it cycles at least every 30 seconds. All i'm doing at this moment is typing this email and it's gone on and off at least 5 times.

I have 14 days to return it and at this point I'm not sure if I could deal with this even if the laptop was free.

April 28th, 2010 10:00

Same deal here I purchased a 1464 at Staples. This laptop works fine but in a quite environment the fan will drive you crazy. It constantly is revving up and spinning at a high speed even when the computer is not in use.  I updated to A07 bios and still no change. I have until May 3 to return it under Staples 14 day return policy. At this point I plan to return it as  judging from comments here, no action is being taken by Dell to acknowledge or address this problem. Checkout http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19321860/19656422.aspx#19656422 seems many other models have the same fan behavior.

June 2nd, 2010 23:00

Ignore this post. I found my way to the other post following the link above :)

No Events found!