Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 2nd, 2015 01:00

Dell Inspiron 14Z 5423 windows 10 booting issues ??

Hi ,

I have updated my laptop to (inspiron 14Z 5423) to windows 10 on july 29 . After upgrading , wifi options and wifi settings didn't show up in the settings menu. I tried to run dell diagnostic tools but  all the results are shown as  "passed" (how could it happen??..) and i thought it might be due to driver issues and tried to re-install the wifi drivers . to my surprise , i couldn't  find any drivers in the dell site and  after performing "detect service tag for driver update."..it says drivers are upto date.

So .. after complete disappointment .. i rolled back my OS to windows 8.1 and everything worked fine . Again on august 1st...a menu popped  up on my laptop saying ...your laptop  is good to upgrade as  DELL team tested and no sign of any issues..bla bla. I thought may be this time the upgrade may work and updated my OS..and again disappointed to notice that wifi failed to detect in windows 10.So .left  with no option..i tried  "Reset" option in windows 10 for clean install .

This time wifi worked and i am happy and  "sound" failed to detect. Again ran all those dell diagnostics...all the results show "passed" . Tried to download dell sound drivers.. from dell site but i could not see anything in the site

while running tests in the boot menu ..i have encountered  blue screen error and from then my laptop failed to boot and i could only hear 3 beep sounds ??

Tried resetting the button underneath the latoptop..but no use. Any other 14Z users facing the same issue?

10 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 15:00

Hi douglas, 

Does  your laptop have warranty?. if so you can call dell support to fix the laptop

sgasrock

I think i have a possible solution by replacing cmos battery. since i don't have warranty and majority of the tech people  bluntly say it is motherboard or chipset failure. please open the youtube link and find a "James C" comment which says he fixed the 3 beeps  by changing a cmos battery

www.youtube.com/watch

I suggest this solution ..only if you dont have warranty and moreover i was thinking to change cmos battery after purchasing it

August 7th, 2015 19:00

The translation.....

...................................................................................................................................

Ok. The procedure below is a suggestion of mine, do so at your own risk. It worked for me and I hope it works for you.

1. THE MAIN CONDITION: you need to already have a bootable USB stick with the BIOS .EXE file (BMWZ4A12.EXE) and CONNECT it into the left USB port of the laptop (it can be connected to the right port provided that you have the black cable connected to it).

2. If you do not have a bootable USB stick from Windows 8 or 10, follow the procedure below.

- Creating a bootable USB stick:

- Download and run the software Rufus from the link below (it does not need to be installed), just click 2 times and use it. It will install an improved DOS in the flash drive and make it bootable.

- Link to Rufus: http://rufus.akeo.ie/

- There is no secret, just choose the drive stick and go pressing 'Next'. No need to change any option.

3. Download the A12 BIOS from dell site (the name of the executable file is BMWZ4A12.EXE) and put it within the USB stick (there will be other DOS files in there, do not delete them).

4. Keep only the USB stick+ keyboard + Memories (all) + screen connected to the motherboard.

5. You must disconnect the power cord from the laptop and hold the power button for 10 seconds. If that does not work, quickly press the power button 10 times.

6. Connect the power cord, the laptop should turn on by itself, if it doesn't turn on, press the power button. WAIT for about 5 MINUTES, if nothing appears on the screen until this time, remove the cable and go back to step 5.

7. When the laptop turn on, DO NOT EVER push the power button again under any circumstances. If you miss something always press CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart. I repeat: DO NOT press the power button. By restarting through CTRL + ALT + DEL you will not need to do all previous steps.

8. Restarting the laptop, keep pressing the F2 key to enter the BIOS Setup. Within the setup, go to the Boot tab and on "Set Boot Priority" put the USB stick as 1° of boot list and secondly the "Hard Drive". Save and exit the setup.

9. After the system reboots, the flash drive will boot and you'll be at the DOS prompt (C: \). Thus, already be with the battery at hand (that black and large).

10. Place the battery in its spot even with the system turned on.

11. At the DOS prompt type, BMWZ4A12.EXE / forceit. That's ready, it will make the BIOS downgrade to A12 and probably the problems will finish.

12. Reassemble the Inspiron 14z and install Windows 8. Try to restore the system in Windows 8 installation to not miss anything, if it fails to restore, the solution is to reinstall Windows 8 from scratch.

That's it, good luck, do not try installing Windows 10 again... lol

.........................................................................................................

I didn't try this procedure. I don't have enough time now. But in facebook (www.facebook.com/.../668912199877404) page, other people said that this procedure worked for them.

August 2nd, 2015 09:00

I have same Laptop as yours(dell inspiron 14z 5423).I also upgraded but with no problem upto now.But I am having problem with the drivers like Video driver of ATI radeon 7570.Other drivers are all working ok But Ati radeon doesn't show its settings anywhere(it used to be when we right click on desktop), although its installed.and Sound drivers are working.i had also wifi problem but after updating the drivers from the dell website and doing a clean install got the problem solved.the next problem I got was:- my computers fan was running very high after upgrading(before doing clean install of windows 10) but after it got away as I clean installed it.

**Your blue screen maybe your ram or board.i don't think its software problem.seems likes somewhere hardware is loose.try taking ram out and again attach it.Make sure u don't mess with it while doing so/so check some videos in youtube to see the instructions.or if possible try going back to windows 8.1 but keep windows 10s backup cd to make it when  dell give u the full update of drivers**

*** and for dell my short message is: please we want some updates on drivers.the laptop seems ok..please..we are waiting on u dell :) don't give us up.'***

1 Message

August 2nd, 2015 13:00

Two days after the Windows 10 update, my 14Z won't boot as all. Lights go on, then HDD light goes on. I can hear the fan, but that's it. 

August 3rd, 2015 03:00

10 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 09:00

Hey Aakash..

Thanks for your reply and we are looking for a solutions that resolves our problem.

Speaking about your reply ..we(me and sgasrock) are in  a situation where nothing works and lucky that you got your update without any issues. unless you have any laptop failure while updating to windows 10 or you have solution that could fix our laptops..please stay away from this thread

Thanks 

August 3rd, 2015 13:00

I have exactly the same problem.

Please, we need some help.

Thanks.

August 3rd, 2015 13:00

Hello Aakash Nepal. Thanks for the answer, but I had exactly the same problem of Sgasrock (Lights go on, then HDD light goes on. I can hear the fan, but NO DELL LOGO). Its strange that this problem happened just while trying to upgrade do Windows 10. Makes me think this is not a hardware problem.

Is somebody else can help, we would appreciate.

August 4th, 2015 06:00

Hi douglas ,sgarock and prudhviraju, i am sorry about before that i focused on the other user who will be installing windows 10. Now coming to your point: if u think the issue came with windows 10 ,how about taking harddisk out and format it by connecting with another laptop/another computer.and make sure u disconnect all the devices as fan//extmouse,hdd,etc and reset the ram and  battery if u can.i just had same problem after windows 8.1 upgrade before and that helped.i had to install win 8.1 again but the issue was gone.i will opt out now.just wanted to share some last ideas which i did before.

Also: i found something to chck if its hardware issue or not.somones idea on dell forum:

Try releasing the static power and run the hardware diagnostics, Follow the steps below.

Switch off the system; remove the battery, ac adapter and the power cable. Press and hold down the power button for thirty seconds to drain any excess static power.

Press the fn + power  which will initiate the hardware diagnostics.

August 4th, 2015 11:00

Hello guys,

My problem is not totally solved, but My PC is working now.

I'll tell you what happened:

During the W10 instalation process, my Inspiron 14z "died". When I saw it, the screen was off, and the ONLY LIGHT ON WAS THE "POWER" LED. Then, I tryed to reboot it pressing and holding the power button, tryed to boot in safe mode using F8, F12, F... etc, Tryed to restore to factory image using the factory image backed up on a DVD, on a flash drive... I tried to reset the PC using the reset button underneath the laptop and even let it run out of battery. But nothing could help.

Then, I let my PC off, and after about 30 min, I called the dell support (my PC dont have warranty since April 2014) and, after telling the guy the whole story, he asked if my PC was on. I said that is wasn't, but I could turn on to show what happens. Then I pressed the power button and (inexplicably) the Dell Logo showed up. After some minutes of black screen, Dell Logos, and messages like "trying to recover files.." the Windows 10 installation process continued (from 32% of the process).

After the installation, the PC worked "normally". BUT, I turned it off yesterday night, and when I tryed to turn it on today, the same problem happened. Then, in the second attempt to turn it on, it worked (but took about 1min to boot).

I didn't shut down my PC after that. I'll try to update some drivers or anything else before. If I come to an answer or solution, I'll tell you. If someone come to a solution, please, let me know.

Thanks. Hope you have luck with this issue.

16 Posts

August 4th, 2015 12:00

Hello guys.
Here in Brazil we have the same problem in this model .

DELL is not serving us satisfactorily and are accessing the diretio of government agencies consumers. We force a recall of these machines without financial costs to customers.
The links of our forums:

pt.community.dell.com/.../40712

pt.community.dell.com/.../69623

August 6th, 2015 11:00

Hello prudhviraju,

Could you solve the problem?

As I said before, after some attempts, my PC finished the Windows 10 update. But some times, when trying to turn on, or restart, the PC had the same problem... I had to try to boot several times until I succeed.

But yesterday, the Windows installed some updates, and had to be restarted. During this process, the problem came back. But this time, after some attempts to boot, the PC started making the 3 beep sounds (this had never happened before)

I really need some help, I have a VERY IMPORTANT PRESENTATION on Tuesday, and I would be better if I could use my Inspiron 14z instead of my 5 years old Inspiron 1545 (with no battery).

Please, can anyone help me?

Thanks very much!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 6th, 2015 13:00

Three beeps is a sign of a mainboard that's bad -- it's not connected to Windows 10.

Unplug the system, disconnect the battery, hold the power button for 30 seconds.  Remove and reinstall both memory modules and the hard drive.  Reconnect and try again - if you get the three beep code again, it's going to require a mainboard replacement to solve.

10 Posts

August 7th, 2015 17:00

Can you translate into english...please

August 7th, 2015 17:00

Hey guys,

looks like there is a solutions without replacing the CMOS batery (though, you'll have to disassemble the notebook anyway). It's is Brazilian Portuguese. I did't try on my machine. I'm waiting for some answer from Dell.

Restauração da BIOS (A12), para quem não tem o pendrive bootável com Windows 8.1.

Ok. o procedimento abaixo é uma sugestão minha, façam por sua conta e risco. Funcionou para mim e espero que funcione para vocês. Emoticon smile

1. O PRINCIPAL, você precisa já ter um pendrive bootável com o arquivo .EXE da BIOS (BMWZ4A12.EXE) e CONECTADO na porta USB esquerda do note (Na direita até pode, desde que você tenha ligado o cabo preto a ela).

2. Caso você não tenha um pendrive bootável do Windows 8 ou 10, siga o procedimento abaixo.
- Criando um pendrive bootável:
- Baixe e rode o software Rufus do link abaixo (ele não precisa ser instalado), é só clicar 2 vezes e usá-lo. Ele vai instalar o DOS melhorado no pendrive e torná-lo bootável.
- Link para o Rufus: http://rufus.akeo.ie/
- Não tem segredo, é só escolher o drive do pendrive e ir apertando 'Avançar', não precisa mudar opção nenhuma.

3. Baixe a BIOS A12 do site da dell (o nome do arquivo executável é BMWZ4A12.EXE) e jogue dentro do pendrive (vão ter outros arquivos do DOS lá dentro, não os apague).

4. Deixe apenas conectados na placa mãe: Pendrive + Teclado + Memórias (todas) + Tela.

5. Você vai tirar o cabo de força do note e segurar o botão de power por 10 segundos. Se isso não funcionar, fique apertando rapidamente o power 10x.

6. Conecte o cabo de força, o note deve ligar sozinho, senão, aperte o botão de power. ESPERE até no máximo 5 MINUTOS, se não aparecer nada na tela até esse tempo, retire o cabo e volte para a etapa 5.

7. Quando o note ligar, NÃO aperte mais o power em nenhuma circunstância. Se você errar algo sempre aperte CTRL+ALT+DEL para reiniciar. Repito, NÃO aperte mais o botão de power. Reiniciando pelo CTRL+ALT+DEL você não vai precisar mais fazer todas as etapas anteriores.

8. Reiniciando o note, fique pressionando a tecla F2 para entrar no Setup da BIOS. Dentro do setup, você vai até a aba BOOT e em "Set Boot Priority" você vai colocar como o 1º da lista de boot o pedrive e em segundo o "Hard Drive". Salve e saia do setup.

9. Após o sistema reiniciar, o pendrive vai bootar e você estará no prompt do DOS (C:\). Com isso, já fique com a bateria em mãos (aquela preta e grande).

10. Coloque a bateria mesmo que com o sistema ligado no lugar dela (já pesquisei, não tem problema algum em fazer isso).

11. No prompt do DOS digite, BMWZ4A12.EXE /forceit. Pronto, ele vai fazer o downgrade da BIOS para A12 e provavelmente os erros irão acabar.

12. Remonte o inspiron 14z todo e instale o Windows 8. Tente restaurar o sistema na instalação do windows 8 para não perder nada, se não der para restaurar, o jeito é reinstalar o windows 8 do zero.

É isso, boa sorte, não vá inventar de instalar o Windows 10. Emoticon smile

Rufus is a utility that helps format and create bootable USB flash drives, such as USB keys/pendrives, memory sticks, etc.
RUFUS.AKEO.IE

No Events found!