Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 20th, 2016 19:00

Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Series Will Not Boot Windows 10

I upgraded to windows 10 several months ago, and recently installed an update to the system. That update caused the start menu and task bar not to load, so I attempted a system restore, prior to that date. This failed, and now the computer will not boot at all. The dell logo appears, but nothing else happens before the system repeatedly restarts itself. Any suggestions? I can still access the boot settings and startup menu via F2 or F12.

2 Posts

January 21st, 2016 07:00

Thanks. I have tried the hard starting and it doesn't seem to fail on it's own- it's continuously in the reboot loop. Any other tips to break this cycle and force the computer to boot?

615 Posts

January 20th, 2016 21:00

HI Pahand

Sometimes a lot of patience is needed with problems like this in Windows 10. That said, if the machine is on a reboot loop, allow it to cycle as many times as necessary to fail. The machine should offer some information eventually about a failed update and "reverting changes." at which point you allow the reversion to proceed uninterrupted. You can "force" the machine to fail by hard starting it 3 or more times (holding the power button until it shuts off and then restarting...repeat x3) which will get you into the advanced startup options menu where you can select from a range of options to troubleshoot / repair your Windows 10 installation, go back to the previous build, or even revert to previous version of Windows.

1 Message

August 26th, 2017 21:00

I have same problem.  How did you solve it?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 27th, 2017 10:00

:emotion-2:

Hi Manrick 19

Please list exact Dell model number and version of windows. Example: Dell Inspiron 3543, windows 10

In the meantime, please run the diagnostic tool to check the hardware on system Please follow steps below:

1. Power off the system. Remove all peripherals (except AC adapter) from system

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping the F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In the boot menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and then click on it. After quick tests, click on Hard drive and then Thorough Test Mode. Run Memory as well. Report back any error code.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 27th, 2017 10:00

If there isn't any error code:

Please power on system, quickly start tapping the F2  key continuously. In the BIOS, check and see if the Hard drive is detected.....

Dell Inspiron 3543:

3 Posts

October 2nd, 2017 07:00

Hi, I am having the same problem. Tried hard-boot and F12 - not moving an inch stays on the black screen with the DELL logo, desperately need help

615 Posts

October 2nd, 2017 08:00

Hi Petrus1968,

What I am finding on these Inspiron 3XXX models is a developing pattern of SEAGATE 1TB Head and Platter type mechanical drive failure. Run the Hardware tests in Dell Support assist and wait for the code.

I'm working on the 3rd one of these in 2 months and so I went to the Seagate website to check for an updated version of their drive utility "Seatools" and while I was looking I learned that Seagate is in the Date recovery business now!!! Go figure that one out ...we'll sell you a chincy drive that's going to fail and then we'll sell you a $99.00 DIY recovery software application and you can just hope that works...either way we're keeping your money. ....Conflict of Interest anyone? I

If you run the tests and DO NOT get an error code you should check the SYSTEM TIME when you boot your computer, if you have long boot enabled you'll see it with the rest of the POST. If you don't you can get that from the UEFI / BIOS and while you're in there make double sure that your SATA settings read "AHCI" and not IDE . The look at UEFI / BIOS will indicate dead CMOS battery by the RTC forgetting what the date and time are, along with whatever settings it can't remember without the CMOS battery. . If yoyu're machine is a couple years old it's a good idea to check. I replace mine with the smoke alarms...on the 4th of July. Good Luck to you.. with a little luck you'll have either a warranty exchange or a quck and relatively painless recovery back to your desktop.

If this information was helpful please don't hesitate to push the "YES" button. If you need furhter assistance feel free to contact.

3 Posts

October 2nd, 2017 14:00

Still no luck , have tried F12, F2, Fn & Window key, hard boot still nothing. Not getting past DELL logo and black screen

No Events found!