Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2013 17:00

Dell Inspiron 15 3521 WON'T CONNECT TO WIFI PLEASE HELP

Okay so I am just about at my wit's end with this problem.

Originally it started when my keyboard on my 8 month old laptop wouldn't work. I called dell tech support and after an hour and a half on the phone they told me that my keyboard needed to be replaced, my wifi connectivity is working fine at this point. A technician comes to my house and replaces the keyboard only to find that the keyboard is not the problem, the motherboard is. He comes the next day and replaces the motherboard. All is well until I try to connect to the internet and it wouldn't work.

Dell assured me that it was a problem with the router and that my internet provider would be able to resolve the problem with in 3 minutes. One hour later and I'm still on the phone with Comcast, and lo and behold, it's not Comcast's problem. My other devices on the wifi work and I've even tried connecting the laptop to a different wifi source to see if this issue was just between one particular router but it wasn't.

I was desperately trying to avoid another painfully long phone call with a dell technician and so I tried to fix the problem myself. I disabled the wifi adapter on the laptop, uninstalled and reinstalled the entire wireless adapter, unchecked the internet protocol 6, updated my computer, refreshed my computer, made it forget the wifi, uninstalled bluetooth, and turned the wifi on and off. Even when some of these techniques seemed as though they would work and connect to the wifi, the wifi was always limited and had no internet access.

I broke down and called dell tech support. An hour and a half later they assured me that it was the fault of the McAfee anti-virus software and that they would have to uninstall it. They did so while my laptop was connected to the internet with an ethernet connection, and assured me that the problem was finally resolved and that I was able to access the internet freely again. Shortly after hanging up with them I realized that when I unplug the ethernet, the internet won't work. 

PLEASE just tell me how to get the internet working again

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

October 15th, 2013 18:00

Perhaps the cables to the wireless board were dislodged. Check them.

1.5K Posts

October 15th, 2013 22:00

Hi mhh1024,

Apologies for all the inconvenience caused and an unpleasant experience. Please share the system's Service Tag and Owner's Name with me via private message (click my username and then click Send a Private Message). I'll review the details and help further sharing the further course of action with you.

Awaiting your response!

1 Message

October 11th, 2014 08:00

I have had very similar experiences (but have not tried on my own as thoroughly as mhh1024. We had a working laptop except for a slightly bad key -- but tolerable. Wifi was working then. Then after a couple of months we had more serious problem (don't remember exactly because my son was handling it at the time) but in any case we ended up sending it off to Dell who said they would fix it (main problem and also fix the key). They fixed the main problem but not the key. At this point, my son was leaving for college so we switched computers. After pleasant discussions with couple of people at Dell, they shipped a new keyboard which I was able to install myself.

Everything seemed fine but we use wired internet so I didn't check the wifi until this week and found it is not working (or sometimes says it is "limited" I don't know what that means but it doesn't do anything useful.

I have tried the usual disable and re-enable wifi but have not tried anything drastic (including calling Dell) because I figured I would do an internet search and found this discussion.

April 16th, 2015 19:00

I also am experiencing the same issue. I have the Inspiron 13- 7352. I returned the first to best buy thinking it was a wireless card issue.

Same experience: called dell tech (uninstall drivers, reboot, restore etc)..

I uninstalled McAfee, unchecked IPv6...etc.

I am thinking this is a windows 8.1 issue?

780 Posts

April 17th, 2015 04:00

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

We see the wireless card in this machine is a Dual band card which can work in 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.

Since you have already performed the reset, reboot and also driver uninstall, we shall go ahead and make some changes in the card properties which will ensure the card is working at its optimal performance.

Please find the step by step instruction and the screenshots for the same.

• Right Click on the Start button at the bottom left corner of the screen
  • Click on Device Manager
  • Click Advanced Tab
  • Ad Hoc Channel – Change it to Channel 11
  • Select Bluetooth® AMP option in the list, Disable it
  • Select “Preferred Band” – Change it to 2.5 Ghz
  • Roaming Aggressiveness – Set it to highest
  • Transmit Power – Set it to highest

After these changes are made in the advanced tab, click on “Power management” tab.

• Uncheck the option “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”

After these changes are made, please close the “Device manager”, restart the PC.

Let us know if this fixes the issue.  If it doesn’t fix, please send me your computer’s service tag via private message.

To send a private message, click on my name and click start conversation.

2 Posts

March 31st, 2016 10:00

I am having the same issue with my inspiron 1300 which is 2 weeks old.  I am trying this solution now.

2 Posts

March 31st, 2016 10:00

I am having the same issue with my inspiron 1300 which is 2 weeks old.  I am trying this solution now.

Update, now it won't see any wifi at all.

1 Message

April 29th, 2017 08:00

Did you get any solution?  I've installed on unstalled the drivers multiple times with Dell support staff and then with a private computer support company and no luck.

No Events found!