Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 10th, 2013 16:00

Dell Inspiron 15 3521 line in microphone not working

Hello there. I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3521 laptop which has a combo jack of headphone and microphone. I connected the audio cables thinking of connecting it into an external mic. However, I am not getting any sound from it. I reinstalled the audio drivers and tested it on other devices and it works then. Please help me.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 10th, 2013 20:00

Hello there. I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3521 laptop which has a combo jack

Hello. You cannot use a stand alone mic in a Dell combo jack. The kind of microphone it accepts is the kind built into a combo headset (a Smart Phone headset). Here is a picture of such a headset. Notice that the plug has 4 segments instead of the normal 3 segments. It combines headphones and mic into a single plug.

If you have a normal mic with a plug with 3 segments, you would have to obtain an adapter to use it with a Dell combo jack. The adapter is called Headset Buddy and it looks like this. Notice the 4 segmented plug.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 11th, 2013 06:00

You're welcome.

Here is a picture of a different Headset Buddy that looks similar to the one above, but notice that its plug has 3 segments. This one is the wrong Headset Buddy so don't get it, and if your mic plug is like this it won't work in the combo jack because the contacts won't mate. Note that regular headphones with normal 3 segmented plugs do work in the combo jacks. It is just the mics that don't without an adapter.

1.8K Posts

May 10th, 2013 16:00

Hi vvinushan,

I suggest you to check if the Microphone is selected as the default recording device and the volume is set to the proper level.

To check this, right click on the "Speaker" icon on the taskbar and click on "Recording devices". Set the device as default if the Microphone is listed.

Please let me know about your findings.

10 Posts

Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure I should buy this until I am certain that I need it. But I will consider it. Thank you.

10 Posts

I've checked it and the microphone is the default device. Also, the microphone volume is high.

10 Posts

May 16th, 2013 14:00

I just bought a Headset Buddy and it works perfectly! Thank you so much!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 16th, 2013 15:00

:emotion-21:

This thread is locked, due to age.

If you need assistance, please create a new thread in the proper Dell Support Forum

Thank you

No Events found!