Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 28th, 2015 00:00

Dell Inspiron 15 3521 plugged in not charging

Hi,

i have recently updated my bios from A07 to A12. everything is working fine. except one and that is battery is not charging properly.

it is showing message "plugged in not charging". i have read lot of content but can't able to find the solution. i hope here i can find some good solution. my laptop battery and charger are fine. 

now i am thinking about some options which i have thought after doing some search on this isssue

1. i should install windows 8 because mainly BIOS supports that OS. currently i am running windows 8.1 pro 64 bit

2. i should move from legacy to UEFI boot because in some videos when they update their BIOS they have UEFI already enabled. 

here is the image of the situation

if you need any other info then kindly tell me i'll provide that too

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 28th, 2015 05:00

Check your system setup  -- F2 at powerup.  Is the AC adapter recognized or showing "unknown"?

March 28th, 2015 07:00

in system setup, in the advanced tab there is a battery and infront of it its written the battery is working normally. and this whole area is greyed out. i can't select or do anything with it. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 28th, 2015 08:00

That's not what you need to look for.  There should be an entry that shows the AC adapter type and wattage.  Is that showing, or does it show "unknown"?

May 1st, 2015 06:00

Hello, I am having the same problem.
I am using dell Inspiron 15 3521. My battery is not charging after 80%.

I have updated BIOS 12, When I turned on my laptop and clicked F2 then it is showing 65 watt adapter is connected..
My battery and adapter is working in a perfect condition (4-5 hours backup "Original come with dell").
When I plugged in charger it is not charging my battery after 80% and showing 80% available (plugged in, not charging).  Pls Help me Pls

1 Message

May 19th, 2015 12:00

hy CHINMAYLIVE  i have th same problem...... so how did u update your bios 

1 Message

July 1st, 2015 23:00

i am using 3521 dell and i hvae plugged in the charger and its showing plugged in, it goes up to 52% and then says plugged in but not charging.

what should i do?

2 Posts

July 19th, 2015 23:00

I am facing the same problem, using 3521, tried updating BIOS, tried resetting the laptop by holding the power button for 30 sec, but none of that seems to solve the problem. Now its stuck at 56% and never goes beyond that. 

Looks like this is a common issue in Dell Laptops and Dell cannot solve this problem.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 20th, 2015 05:00

Check to make sure the AC adapter is recognized (F2 at powerup to check).  If it is not, replace the adapter first (with an OEM Dell adapter - NOT a third party unit).  If that doesn't work, replace the DC jack:

< >

If that does not solve the issue, replace the mainboard.

If the AC adapter IS recognized, replace the battery.

2 Posts

July 6th, 2016 06:00

No use of any of the solutions posted here, I have been facing this problem from past few months.

Tried formatting the laptop, removing the battery and doing the hard reset and all those steps, but nothing helped. Finally the battery expired. Then replaced the battery with a new genuine dell battery , it worked for about a month then again started giving the same "plugged in not charging" problem.

This has been the problem with almost all the laptops of this model which mostly occur after the laptop warranty is over. Showed the laptop to the dell service center , they say the motherboard and other components along with the charger are working fine and problem is with the battery only. How many times to replace the battery?

Even dell does not have a solution to this problem. Looks like its time to move to other laptop brands. Dell is not reliable anymore.

No Events found!