Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

September 26th, 2016 05:00

Dell Inspiron 15 3542 stuck on welcome screen, NVidia drivers.

I am having some issues with the above laptop, they have the usual integrated Intel GPU and also a dedicated NVidia 840M GPU. After the laptops have been configured (Windows 7) and I install the NVidia drivers everything works fine for the first few reboots but then whenever I try to log into a user account I just get stuck at "welcome".

I have isolated the cause of this to be the Nvidia drivers as if they are not present on the system no error occurs. This is quite a big problem for us as the laptops were bought for users with high spec needs within an education environment.

I have tried the drivers supplied with the laptop (372.54) and the latest ones from Nvidia (372.70).

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 26th, 2016 16:00

Hi,

I would suggest you to update the BIOS, uninstall and reinstall the video card driver from Dell website as these drivers are tested on the Dell system. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the video card.

1. Press the Windows key and Start typing devmgmt.msc and then press enter.
  2. Select the Display adapters listed and right click on it.
  3. Now select properties.
  4. In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Uninstall button.
  5. Check “Delete the driver software for this device.”
  6. You want to delete the driver click OK.

After the uninstall finishes restart the system. Then reinstall the Intel video card driver first and then Nvidia card driver on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the BIOS from BIOS section and then video card drivers from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps. 

4 Posts

September 27th, 2016 02:00

Hi,

I've tried everything you suggested in your post but the first time I reboot the machine after the NVidia drivers have been installed it once again just hangs on the welcome screen.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 28th, 2016 06:00

Hi,

I would suggest you to boot into the safe mode (F8 During startup) to check if you are able to login.

Also, We need to check if the issue is caused due to any application installed on the system. So please clean boot the system using the link below and check if the issue reoccurs.

http://dell.to/1eOndyH

Also, please see that No external device are connected to the system.

4 Posts

September 28th, 2016 07:00

Booting into safe mode works as it should.

I have already tried doing a clean boot as this is how I diagnosed the problem to be with the NVidia drivers, the issue doesn't reoccur until I enable the NVidia items again.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 30th, 2016 05:00

Hi,

Did you update the following NVidia driver in the link below.

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

Also, Please check if you the Windows is updated to the latest on your computer.

4 Posts

September 30th, 2016 07:00

That is the driver I have been using yes, Windows is fully up to date also.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 2nd, 2016 04:00

Hi,

I would suggest you to uninstall the video card driver from the device manager completely and then use the link below to find the latest NVidia driver from manufacturer site for issue resolution.

www.nvidia.com/.../scan.aspx

No Events found!