Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2015 06:00

Dell Inspiron 15 3542 unresponsive and freezing.

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3542 Laptop and it just recently started running really slow. It was running fine about 6-7 days ago and then I started sharing my screen on skype, showing my friend something on a videogame. My computer froze, but my microphone and audio was working (I could still communicate to my friend). All he saw was a frozen screen because it was still sharing.

I decided to restart my laptop by holding down the power button for 10-15 seconds, which is the way I usually restart it. After I did that, it wouldn't get past the Dell splash loading screen. After taking out my battery and putting it back in that problem was gone, and it hasnt shown up ever since.

But the main issue is when I got past the splash screen it took longer that usual to boot (about 10-20 minutes). Being the patient man I am, i decided to wait it out and it started to work. I did what i usually did for about 3 hours until it froze again. I did the same procedure of what I did before and it was normal untill the log-in screen. I logged in and nothing loaded.

Skype opened automatically, like it usually does, but nothing loaded. Everything would open (the tabs) but wouldn't load, just a black white space. I decided to just let this all go and I didnt go on my laptop for about 3 or 4 days.

After the wait, I decided to boot my laptop. It loaded, logged in, and it wouldnt even open the tabs. The opening animation would work but nothing would show up, and eventually it would freeze and wouldnt unfreeze. I have restarted my computer like one million times and it does this problem everytime. I really need help as Im on my school laptop (a chromebook) and nearly all websites are blocked. So I cant really do anything untill this is fixed so I really need some assistance.

Summary:

My laptop completely freezes without unfreezing and I cant do anything like install anything or even open a tab. I can still open the f2 options before windows loads, so is there anything that I can do that fixes this issue within the f2 options?

Thanks, -Ellis

780 Posts

July 3rd, 2015 08:00

Hi,

Please run a complete hardware diagnostics to confirm there is no part failure.

To enter diagnostics, Keep tapping F12 on the startup Dell logo that comes as soon you press the power button.

Select "Diagnostics" from the list, Run it completely and let us know if it passes, Else please reply with the Error message and validation code, we shall take it further.

Thank you

2 Posts

July 3rd, 2015 19:00

Hi,

I did the diagnostic, and I did indeed get an error. The error is within my hard drive.

Continue troubleshooting the system with the information provided below at dell.com/diagnostics or with technical support. Use a mobile device to scan the QR code to continue troubleshooting.

Service tag: *******, **** ***

Error Code: 2000 - 0142

Validation 123964

780 Posts

July 4th, 2015 06:00

Hi,

Please remove the service tag from the post as it is a public forum and everyone can view it.

Send me a private message with the details requested below.

Your first name and Surname:
Name of the Account holder:
Primary phone#
Alternate phone# (If any)
Email address:
Shipping Address:

Thank you

Your first name and Surname:

Name of the Account holder:

Primary phone#

Alternate phone# (If any)

Email address:

Shipping Address:

1 Message

October 21st, 2015 04:00

Hi Gokul,

I have same problem with and end users laptop, however I ran the diagnostics and no error came up.

Please advise.

No Events found!