Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2016 13:00

Dell Inspiron 15 3558 SLOW

I just purchased a new Dell Inspiron 15 3558 two days ago. The first day, boot was slow and I thought it was due to the computer setting everything up for first use. Now its been two days and I still have the same problem. I noticed that the dell logo appears twice, once with the loading circle spinning and the other time with the loading circle frozen. It also takes about 130 seconds for me to get to the login screen. When i log in, everything takes some time to load and the windows start menu and search don't work until after 30 seconds. I have to wait an additional minute for everything to load properly. Also, whenever i play games that I can support, they are slow on low graphics and after I exit a game, my laptop becomes unusable. I usually have to restart my laptop for it to work without freezing or any lag. I just bought this laptop brand new and the specs are decent. Why do I have so many problems?

My Specs are:

Fifth Gen i3-5015u CPU (2.1GHz), 1TB HDD, 4GB RAM, Intel HD 5500 Graphics 

July 18th, 2016 03:00

i am also using Inspiron 3558. Just three days purchased. Facing the problem of lagging. The letter shows up slower than my typing and when i scrolling the mouse, it lags from time to time. Not smooth. 

i am very disappointing with its performance. 

What is really going on? 

my spec is core i5-5200U cpu @ 2.20GHz,  4 G ram.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 18th, 2016 11:00

Hi Lee KWAN :emotion-2:

Your brand new computer should be lightning fast!

I'd suggest you check for latest windows updates are installed or failed. At left bottom of taskbar, click on windows icon, click on Settings,Update & security > Windows Update, and then select Check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC if required.

You can click on Advanced Options[windows update settings], and then View Your Updates History. Do you see any failed windows updates?

5 Posts

July 18th, 2016 11:00

Other people are having problems with this laptop as well. My system is fully updated. I had to disable a lot of Windows 10 features to make it a bit faster. Things like disabling Cortana and animations help. I don't understand why a brand new laptop with decent specs is so slow.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 18th, 2016 12:00

Other things:

4G is a bare minimum -- you'd be better off with 8 unless you have a 32-bit version of Windows.

The spinning hard drive (vs. a solid state drive) is another bottleneck.

If the system shipped with McAfee/Intel Internet Security, getting rid of that in favor of the MS defender is another big performance booster.

July 20th, 2016 02:00

yes , it is up to date successfully. so what is the problem? Really  with this new laptop! Dell disappointed me so much.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 20th, 2016 09:00

I'd also suggest you download free version of Malwarebytes/ Anti-Malware, and then run it. Malwarebytes is the best for getting rid of nasty malwares which will slow down the system.

www.malwarebytes.com/.../

Download free version of CCleaner, and then run it. CCleaner should help speed up your computer. I'd suggest you first click on cleaner, registry, and then tools. In startups, disable any programs that might be slowing down your system.

http://www.piriform.com/

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 20th, 2016 09:00

ejn63 wrote:If the system shipped with McAfee/Intel Internet Security, getting rid of that in favor of the MS defender is another big performance booster.

:emotion-2:

Hi LEE

I'm 100% in agreement with ejn63. McAfee/Internet Security and other top antivirus software take your money and at the same time slow down your system. All of them have their components in the Startups, Registry and web browser which slow down the system. I'd suggest you use the antivirus software (Windows Defender) which already is on the system. It's free, good for fighting viruses and most importantly it won't slow down the system.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 20th, 2016 15:00

When the computer is running slow or crashing a lot, use the Processes tab in task manager to identify which programs are consuming more memory, disk and network in real time. Please click on link below, hopefully it will be of help to you.

How To Use Task Manager (Official Dell Tech Support ...

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Disable some of programs in Startup, especially McAfee or any other antivirus programs.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Run the troubleshooting tools on system:

1. Type Troubleshooting Control Panel onto the [Cortana] search box, click view all, and then windows update. Run other troubleshooting tools as picture below:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

EDIT / Troubleshooting slow system performance

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

:emotion-2:

If you play a lot of games then I suggest you download the NVidia driver from Dell Product Support page or look for latest NVidia driver from the link below:

www.nvidia.com/.../index.aspx

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Update system setup( BIOS) on your computer. Please click on link below:

https://youtu.be/mWn9YfxtYBo

After you update BIOS then I suggest updating Chipset and Video drivers. Please update drivers one by one or installation order.

www.dell.com/.../EN

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Turn off any unnecessary background apps in Privacy Settings.

At left bottom of taskbar, click on windows icon, click on Settings, Privacy, and then Background apps.

No Events found!