Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 2nd, 2015 01:00

Dell Inspiron 15 5000 keyboard stops working for no reason.

Twice my Dell Inspiron 15 5000 keyboard stopped working for no reason. To fix it, I had to

1) shut down the laptop

2) remove the battery and power source

3) hold start button down 10 sec to drain completely

4) restart

I've restarted both times using adapter without battery in which necessitated shutting down, removing power adapter and putting battery back in and restarting. If this happens again, I'll try restarting with battery in and see if it works. Simply restarting does not fix problem

My question is this: Dell has sent me replacement keyboard which they said is refurbished. Is it worth my time changing my keyboard to fix this problem? Is it  a keyboard problem or a software problem? I'm on Windows 8 and my laptop is less than 1 month old. I'm not keen on changing keyboard if it will not solve problem but I have only a few days left before I have to send a keyboard back to Dell. Also, will Dell let me try a couple of weeks with old keyboard to see if this problem escalates? It's 2X in a brand new laptop!!!

1 Message

September 16th, 2015 15:00

My laptop (Inspiron 15 5000 Series 6GB RAM, 1TB, AMD A8) is only 1 week old but the space button started to messy a couple of days ago. Sometimes I could hit a space, sometimes the words simply flow together. Today (exactly 1 week old machine...) part of the keyboard went wrong. There was no logic in it: the complete left column did not work: `~ TAB Caps Lock Shift and Ctrl and Fn. The next  2 columns worked, then 3#EDC did not, then the next worked etc. What???

Restart did not work. Then I've found this idea to take out the battery. Now everything is fine. But how can such problem occur with a brand new laptop??? Especially with a DELL...

I am pretty disappointed and annoyed.

2 Posts

September 18th, 2015 21:00

dell inspirion 15-5000 windows 8.1 64 bit. keyboard not working

2 Posts

September 18th, 2015 21:00

dell inspirion 15-5000 windows 8.1 64 bit. keyboard not working

I just got my laptop on 9-19-2015 and the keys on the leftside of the keyboard just stopped working all of a sudden. I am returning because a few other things are wrong and this is a brand new laptop and I have had setup issues with it and 5 hours later still couldn't really use it.

Very disappointed in this experience.

1 Message

November 6th, 2015 15:00

same here mine its a dell inspiron 15 5000 series 15"6 screen 6GB memory and 1TB hard drive and btw im using a *** laptop right now but it happened yesterday luckly a computer repair professional coming to my house tommorow i have a WHOLE page of *** thats wrong with it but the keys that won't work for me are these [qazwsxedcrvftgbyhnujmikolp`left alt right alt ,./;'[]\=- and everything but the numbers and the numlock on the keypad] its *** cuz i was on it when it happened i was on youtube then i closed that then opened rocket league and boom my keyboard turned into *** not literally tho but like *** ive never seen this before sorry im very ***.

1 Message

November 17th, 2015 06:00

Same issue with me here...Windows 7 on the AMD A8.  Entire left side of the keyboard was not working.  Corrective action was to fully pull power from the entire laptop (battery included).  Rebooting alone did not correct the issue.

Dumb.

1 Message

February 2nd, 2016 09:00

obviously dell has a problem with the keyboard associated with this model. i have the same problem. currently typing on my on screen keyboard and I'm very frustrated!!! they are sending a tech to fix it but i had to be almost rude to the tech support person to get that help which is not how i do things so imwas really uncomfortable. we shall see what is really wrong and I will repost.

1 Message

February 16th, 2016 11:00

I am now having the same issue with a laptop bought on 1/30/16.  Happened about 5 days after buying and it just happened again.  The solution above solves the problem temporarily.  

It is ridiculous to have this problem on a new laptop after seeing it report back in August 2015.

Now to reach out to Dell to see if they will send out a tech or make me do the work or make me send it in. I bought Dell because they had such a great Rep better than HP or Lenovo.  I may be changing my mind about this.

1 Message

March 15th, 2016 15:00

same problem  here . using on screen  keyboard  on less than a week old laptop .

1 Message

July 14th, 2016 21:00

I am having the same problem too! I bought the laptop in December 2014. I worked on the laptop one day, and the following day, the keyboard just would not respond at all. I called Tech Support, only for them to tell me there is nothing they can do because my warranty has expired. This is the second time I bought a laptop from Dell and it died on me. And this will definitely be the last time I buy anything from Dell. From my personal experience, and from the posts I can see on this page, I conclude that they just do not know how to make laptops that give the customer the value they deserve for their money. These laptops are useless, and undeserving of our patronage!

1 Message

August 23rd, 2016 21:00

I have had the same problem with my Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series. It has happened a few times, and I was going to send it back for repair, but each time the problem was fixed by disconnecting the power source and battery, and then re-attaching the battery and restarting the laptop. I have contacted Dell for support, but they have acted like this is an unusual problem, and maybe insinuate that it has something to do with how I am using my laptop. 

I'm still waiting for an answer as to why this is happening.

No Events found!