Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 13th, 2015 15:00

Dell Inspiron 15 5547 hinge issue

I bought Inspiron 15 less than a year ago and was happy with it. The only thing that bothered me was a somewhat loose hinge construction. I handle my all my tech very carefully including that laptop. So I thought I'll just live with that.   

But eventually that issue lead to a crack... And now it's difficult to open the lid. If you look at pictures poor assembly is obvious - screw's head just goes out thru the hole. When one opens heavy touch screen it is the point of most hard tensions and thin plastic along with small screw won't stand out.

I've google it and it appears Dell has a very long history of hinge issues on Inspiron and other models too. Like

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19310920?pi239031352=3 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19522781

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19529395

and alike...

The Dell Warranty support team was rude enough saying Dell never had any design flaws or manufacturing issues. It's just normal wear and tear (Really? Inspiron designed to last for a few months?).

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thank you! 

Can't upload photos here - it keeps saying file is over 500KB while it is 250KB

4 Posts

November 13th, 2015 11:00

I am having the same issue, right side also! Had the laptop for 8 months, same model! So frustrating they want to charge $160 to fix it, not covered under warranty. If it isn't a defect why are so many having the same issue with the right hinge! 

1 Message

November 27th, 2015 11:00

Exact same issue, right side hinge.  Dell support says it's not covered by warranty and want to charge $160 to fix it.  What ***!

March 25th, 2016 02:00

I have the same issue as well. The plastic socket for the hinge srew just shattered after about 8 month of using it. 

I just recently learned that there were more than me who had that problem (There is plenty of picture that represent the problem, I don't need to provide one more.) and in the meantime I tried to epoxy glue the screw socket to the frame. It did the trick for a little while, the screws are firmly in place, but the plastic frame on top near the keyboard is not strong enough even with the hinge connected to the frame. So its still splitting slowly with each opening and closing of the screen. I even loosen the screen hinge to reduce pressure!

Am I totally screwed for trying to fix a broken design?

That said; the design for the left side of the screen is very good, the force is transfered on a much larger scale, there is even a metal support that goes like 4 inches along side the keyboard, why not applying it on the other side? This screems programed desuetude.

3 Posts

December 28th, 2016 16:00

I have the same problem.  I got a crack on the right hinge too.  I know Dell won't fix it for me so I just need somebody tells me how to open up and loose the hinge pressure. It's kind of thight and that caused more pressure when I open up the laptop.  I hope I can take picture of the right hinge so I can show how's stupid the design is.  I understand Dell didn't design the case but for sure they have tested the case and they have known the issue.  I'm working for a company that provides one of the parts to Dell so I know Dell have a very high standard in testing their vendors' suppliers.  It's just the $$$ that made Dell refused accept it's a defect.

December 29th, 2016 13:00

Hi there, maybe this will help. I ended up buying a new top and bottom frame because of the crack and broken screw socket inside. I untighened the horizontal screen bolt on each side right next to the hinge AND poured some Epoxy glue around every screw socket close to the hinges inside the frame. Then reinstalled the motherboard and everything else.

I spend about 70 USD for all the parts an glue and about 3 hours of work. Worth it, I'm still using this laptop and it works like a charm.

Moral of the story: Always open a brand new laptop to loosen the screen bolts (and maybe pour epoxy to add strenght to the frame.) I you don't want a new laptop every 18 months. Cause Dell will NOT help you with this kind of issues.

I think most laptop are designed to break like this after the waranty is over... funny isn't it?

This is a link for the top part : www.ebay.com/.../322044894627

And the bottom : www.ebay.com/.../111941217946

December 29th, 2016 13:00

Hi there, maybe this will help. I ended up buying a new top and bottom frame because of the crack and broken screw socket inside. I untighened the horizontal screen bolt on each side right next to the hinge AND poured some Epoxy glue around every screw socket close to the hinges inside the frame. Then reinstalled the motherboard and everything else.

I spend about 70 USD for all the parts an glue and about 3 hours of work. Worth it, I'm still using this laptop and it works like a charm.

Moral of the story: Always open a brand new laptop to loosen the screen bolts (and maybe pour epoxy to add strenght to the frame.) I you don't want a new laptop every 18 months. Cause Dell will NOT help you with this kind of issues.

I think most laptop are designed to break like this after the waranty is over... funny isn't it?

This is a link for the top part : http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-for-DELL-INSPIRON-15-5547-5548-5545-Upper-Case-PALMREST-0K1M13-K1M13-/322044894627?

And the bottom : http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Genuine-DELL-INSPIRON-5545-BASE-06WV6-006WV6-/111941217946?nma=true&si=ls5U6T7L3hyn8kMyebWiksraPMg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

1 Message

January 8th, 2017 05:00

I have the same problem too. I took it to their agent to repair it, and he did after long talks about it is my fault. Till it went out of warranty and now I have the same issue again.

And I don't know what to do now. I bought the most expensive one of this version thinking with Dell I would avoid such problems.

If any one have any suggestion please let me know

Thanks in Advanced

1 Message

June 5th, 2017 18:00

I do agree with Sergt that Dell have design flaws in Inspiron 15 5547. As I bought it around one year back and on the right side of the laptop hinge leave space even after they fixed it... And at the end whole Palmrest broke due to it... its useless to complain better to switch as I am their customer from last 13 years and they do have issue now...

No Events found!