Highlighted
Rocketman16
Bronze

Dell Inspiron 15-5547 is draining the battery overnight while powered off?

Hi,

So recently, after the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (I think), I turn off my Dell Inspiron 15-5547 at night fully charged, only to find it drained by the morning.  Yes, I turn it completely off, not to sleep or hibernate.  Fast Boot is disabled.  When I turn it back on in the morning, the screen displays the "Battery Critically Low" error message and the battery indicator is orange, which means it is low.

The battery life itself is fine.  Lasts at least 2-3 hours while working on the laptop.  Even my 10 year old laptop with a 30 minute battery can last for weeks without being turned on.  So the battery couldn't have gone bad.

Samsung EVO 500 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 4th Gen Processor, Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Rhodium

RE: Dell Inspiron 15-5547 is draining the battery overnight while powered off?

How old is the system and battery?

0 Kudos
Rocketman16
Bronze

2 years.  Battery is the original.  But again, the actual battery capacity is healthy.

0 Kudos
Rhodium

How long will the battery run the system powered up?

If it'll run for at least two hours, I'd look for a short somewhere -- could be the DC jack, or it could be bent pins inside one of the USB connectors.

If the battery drains quickly when the system is powered up, it's more likely the battery is failing.

0 Kudos
Rocketman16
Bronze

Definitely at least two hours.

I don't see anything wrong with the ports.  Nothing is plugged in, either.  The system powers back on with no issues.  If I leave it off overnight, though, something drains it.

I'm thinking maybe something is randomly turning it back on somehow?

0 Kudos
Rocketman16
Bronze

Actually, I just found the laptop on the table where I left it shut off, running.  The only way I could tell is by hearing the fans quietly going, and when I opened the laptop and moved the mouse, the keyboard backlights lit up but nothing else happened.  I had to force it to shut back off.  Checked it 5 minutes later and it is still off.  This must have been what it was doing every night.

So now the question is how do I figure out what is causing it to half-turn on like that and how do I stop it, other than taking out the battery every night?

(The battery is not easily removable as it is inside the laptop).

Thank you for your help so far.

0 Kudos
Rhodium

0 Kudos
Rocketman16
Bronze

Going to see if that works tonight.

0 Kudos
Rocketman16
Bronze

So the problem is actually this:

The computer isn't turning itself on, it's actually not turning off!

I saw my dad turning it off, and while the screen turned off, I noticed the fans were still going.  I pressed a key, and sure enough the backlight on the keyboard turned on.  But everything else seemed to be off.  The Caps Lock key's light did not illuminate when I pressed it as it normally would.  I had to force it to shut down using the power button and holding it for a few seconds, until the backlight turned off, and the fans did as well.

So this makes more sense than it turning itself on from a completely powered off state, but I am still clueless.

0 Kudos