Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 24th, 2016 16:00

Dell Inspiron 15-5547 won't turn off without forcing it to. Why?

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 15-5547, and as the title states it will not completely shut down.  I have tried a Reset (Windows 10), and it did not solve the issue.

My guess is what is causing this issue to happen is the new Samsung EVO SSD I installed around the same time this started happening.  But why would this cause the problem?  I'm in another country now- It is extremely hard to return these things.

What happens is this: We turn it off normally, shutting it down completely (Not hibernate) and the backlights on the keyboard remain lit.  We then have to hold the power button until it actually shuts down.

If we didn't know about this issue or forget, this causes the laptop battery to die overnight, which can't be good for the battery.  In fact, that's what happened.  I thought the problem was that the laptop was turning itself on, but it seems to be the opposite- It doesn't turn off.  Now, here and there this does not happen.  Sometimes it does turn off normally.

Any suggestions?  Is this really because of the SSD?

Windows 10 Anniversary, 8 GB RAM, Intel Core i5 4th Generation, 500 GB Samsung EVO SSD

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 24th, 2016 19:00

Hi Rocketman16,

I would suggest you to update the BIOS and Video card driver on the system. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the BIOS from BIOS section and Video card driver from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

If the above steps do not fix the issue then please boot the system into the Safe mode to check if the system shutsdown from this mode. Please use the link below to start system into safe mode.

28 Posts

July 19th, 2017 19:00

Hi, I am sorry for not replying to this for a year.  I ended up assuming it was because Dell replaced the motherboard with a bad one, as implied by the old-fashioned startup logo instead of the new Windows loading circle that it used to have.

It is now a severe issue, for 2 reasons:

A) It destroys the battery capacity if it completely drains like this.

B) I just discovered that my 2 other laptops of that generation- another Inspiron 15-5547 and an Inspiron 14-5447 are having the same issue!

This is obviously a manufacturer's defect.  Please get me a solution to this, as I have other people who are not computer-savvy using these laptops, and they don't know to check that it is totally off since they are incapable of turning off or waking from sleep.

Ravi's solution that was posted here did not work, of course.  Updates rarely fix these kind of issues but in any case I assure you it is freshly formatted and totally up-to-date with no missing drivers.  There is something wrong with the motherboard's handling of powering on and off, as well as sleeping.

Please help solve this.  The laptop is not in warranty, but even if it was I know Dell wouldn't really fix it since according to them "If the laptop turns on and connects to Wi-Fi it has no problems".  But of course that's unacceptable to users.

No Events found!