Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 14th, 2013 02:00

Dell Inspiron 15 7000(7537) WiFi issue

Hi,

I purchased  the dell inspiron 7000 laptop last week. It has some issues with wifi connectivity.. Though it gets connected, we can see the signal bar fluctuating randomly and the speed of the interent connection is very slow. I am using the same connection for my phone and also checked it with other laptops and the wifi connection seems to have no problem. The download speed on the laptop shows 0.50mbps, while the download speed on another laptop connected to the same connection at the same time and spot shows 6.8mbps.

I have reported the issue the very next day of my purchase, so far I have not obtained any help from the dell customer support. Finally two days back I got a mail stating that there will be a service engineer visiting me in 2-3 working days. But ironically today I get a call form the customer support and they said the person wont be coming for the next week or so as they do not have the parts available.

Why would you want to change the part  of a brand new laptop which is not even two weeks old????Is this a known issue for this model??

January 13th, 2014 06:00

new update: today a tech came to replace my lcd screen again. unfortunatly he was to early here and i wasn't home yet.

But my father was at home and so he talked to the tech abou the issue. Because i had my laptop with me.

The tech also told my father that this was the last time that they would come and replace parts. From now on i have to send it to dell if there is an issue......WTF i have a replace at home warranty until march 2014.

He said it was a policy of dell. No more than 3 replacements at home. But the 3th replacement is due to the tech who broke the wifi cables.

NEVER A DELL AGAIN

11 Posts

January 13th, 2014 10:00

Hi inspiron15700series

I am very sorry. I feel for you. DELL hast some serious issues here. Follow these issue on several forums, and a lot of people are complaining.

I ordered my 15 7000 about a week a go. It takes a lot of time to be delivered. I am looking Forward testing the Wifi on it. I really hope that they solved the issues on it.

Hope you can find some solution for you maschine.

16 Posts

January 14th, 2014 06:00

I have to say I've had exactly the same issue with my 7537 delivered just before Christmas. I noticed the laptop would not connect at 5GHz and raised a call with Tech Support when I realised the WiFi card despite being advertised as dual-band and specified as dual-band on my order confirmation, was indeed single band only.

It has taken my nearly 3 hours on the phone to convince Dell Tech Support that my card was not dual-band. The engineer I spoke to seemed to believe the order confirmation wasbetter evidence than what was actually in the laptop ! He even tried to suggest to me that Dual Band in this case meant it had wifi plus bluetooth ! Aarggh !

In the end I managed to convince another engineer by directing him to the links on the Intel web site for the wifi adapters in question and point out there were indeed single and dual-band versions of the 7260 Wireless-N card and that mine was definitely single band and no mention of dual-band on the Intel site for this card.

I pointed out that even today, the web site still advertises all 7537 configurations with dual-band cards. When I asked that a dual-band card be tried in my laptop, he said they didn't believe it would work in spite of some configurations still being advertised on the web site as including this card.

I guess I may buy the card myself (£20) at some point and try it for myself .. although presumably then there would be implications for my warranty. I shall definitely follow up with Dell Sales to point out they are still providing false information for this laptop.

January 14th, 2014 11:00

Update: Today the technician came back to replace my lcd screen. It was another tech than last time because Dell didn't liked the fact that the other technician told me a lot of things about dell and their lack of customer service. And that he said that the wifi issue cannot be fixed. So this "new" technician installed the lcd/antenna and we talked about the issue and the Dell company. He had pretty much the same point of view like the last technician and wasn't very positive about their newest products and customer care. He also told me he didn't use a dell or other microsoft laptop at home. He told me he only has apple products because he also had onstantly issues with his old laptops (dell?). So after talking about the fact that in the future i should buy an apple we checked if the wifi issue was solved on my laptop. But as the former tech told me that the issue was inside the lcd/antenna assembly we noticed that also this brand new replacement lcd didn't solved the problem. 

after this 3th fix we called Dell. Maybe nobody knows this but after 3 at home interventions your warranty is useless. they won't come back to replace anything so from then you have to send the laptop to dell itself. And on the phone they recommended me to send it back to get the motherboard replaced. The technician told me i should not agree with this and ask for a replacement because he was sure the motherboard would not solve the problem.

So now they are sending me a replacement laptop. Getting my money back was impossible and my laptop is expected to arrive in march. 

Dell really is a company which can use a lot of help with their customer service. From day one i already noticed they cannot build decent laptops and no offence, not everybody can be the best in what they do :p (My laptop has exactly the same issues like their XPS series a couple of years ago, the aluminum in the cover makes contact with the antenna. the tech told me he had seen this so much he could not believe his eyes that they made the same mistake again. can't be so hard to no thave this issue because apple has only alu laptops and also others like hp,... but dell can't make alu laptops. I don't know why and maybe i will never know :p)

But how they talk on the phone (agressive and unfriendly) to their customers it really is a shame.

January 14th, 2014 11:00

Do you also have wifi isues with the "old" card? 

16 Posts

January 14th, 2014 12:00

I have to say I don't seem to have had the major problems some people have had with the wifi connectivity and speeds. My main gripe was the fact that Dell were selling the Inspiron R 7000 with a single band 2.4 GHz card but advertising it and selling it as Dual-Band (5GHz capable). This is an ongoing issue that  they still haven't corrected. 

i can't say I've had any particular problem with connections at the standard 2.4GHz band, but I'm keeping a close eye on it bearing in mind the experiences some people have had. 

I wonder if Dell have been swapping around cards on this model because of the problems, and this has caused the confusion....including with their Sales people!

January 14th, 2014 13:00

I'm exactly like you. I don't have the dual band version. But then again, I also don't have any issues with my wifi.

I wonder if the two are connected somehow. Maybe there's a batch of these laptops that came with the standard Wifi adapter, and that also does not suffer from the same wifi problems as the others.

I'm not sure why that would be exactly. As others have experienced, swapping your wifi adapter does not fix any problems on its own. But there could be something else going on... who knows.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

January 15th, 2014 14:00

All though I have spoken to a few of you via private message, I have not yet posted on the thread. I have just received this from engineering and thought that it might help. For those of you that have reported poor wireless performance on the Intel Centrino wireless 6230, 6235, 7260 and 2230 cards.

1. Update the system BIOS to the latest version listed on support.dell.com
  2. Uninstall and update the WLAN Intel Proset to version 16.1.5
  3. When installing Proset choose custom installation and check all three options listed.
  4. Open wireless properties and make sure that 2.4 and 5 GHz are set to Auto, and that WMM is enabled.

For Windows 7 download Proset 16.1.5 here and Bluetooth 3.1.1309 here.

For Windows 8 download Proset 16.1.5 here and Bluetooth 3.1.1309 here

For Windows 8.1 download Proset 16.1.5 here and Bluetooth 3.1.1311 here

Please let me know if this helped improve wireless performance.

TB

16 Posts

January 15th, 2014 16:00

Had a call today from Dell to say that they would after all be replacing my WLAN card with the dual-band version (Wireless-N 7260 agn).

Will let you know the outcome.

16 Posts

January 15th, 2014 16:00

Is it safe to say that any versions later than those you have listed, should be left as is, or are you suggesting that we should fall back to the versions you have listed ?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

January 16th, 2014 09:00

Stevew43

I would wait until you have the 7260 installed. If anything I suggest uninstalling Proset from programs and features and leaving it uninstalled. Once the replacement card has been inserted, install 16.1.5 and remember to use custom installation with all options checked.  Report back here with the results on wireless performance.

TB

15 Posts

January 16th, 2014 21:00

what is the latest version of the bios?

16 Posts

January 17th, 2014 01:00

Latest BIOS version for 7537 would seem to be A05.

Mine, ordered in November, is already at this version.

15 Posts

January 17th, 2014 10:00

oh ok I have the A05 already. actually after updating the Intel pro set seems to have improved things. I am using the 16.6.0.8 driver for the card

2 Posts

January 18th, 2014 04:00

After a web chat where Dell claimed that my invoice was incorrect and my wifi should _not_ be dual band, I called and talked someone else who was much more helpful - after reinstalling drivers, tinkering with settings, etc. they agreed that the wifi card should be replaced. The next day a tech came and replaced the single band card with a dual band card. Wifi performance is now better than it was, but still significantly worse than my 5-year-old Dell laptop.

When I look for updated ProSet Wireless from Intel, I see version 16.7 - is there any evidence that we should _not_ use the latest version?

No Events found!