Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 14th, 2013 02:00

Dell Inspiron 15 7000(7537) WiFi issue

Hi,

I purchased  the dell inspiron 7000 laptop last week. It has some issues with wifi connectivity.. Though it gets connected, we can see the signal bar fluctuating randomly and the speed of the interent connection is very slow. I am using the same connection for my phone and also checked it with other laptops and the wifi connection seems to have no problem. The download speed on the laptop shows 0.50mbps, while the download speed on another laptop connected to the same connection at the same time and spot shows 6.8mbps.

I have reported the issue the very next day of my purchase, so far I have not obtained any help from the dell customer support. Finally two days back I got a mail stating that there will be a service engineer visiting me in 2-3 working days. But ironically today I get a call form the customer support and they said the person wont be coming for the next week or so as they do not have the parts available.

Why would you want to change the part  of a brand new laptop which is not even two weeks old????Is this a known issue for this model??

15 Posts

January 20th, 2014 19:00

it does not support 5ghz. try this. update ur proset software to 16.7.0 and roll back driver to 16.1.5.2 u should be able to get reasonable speeds.

January 21st, 2014 11:00

i had the same conversations with the dell support as you. they just won't believe it is a single band instead of a dual band. But i read that you don't have issues with the performance? did you compared it with other devices and the speedtest.net? because it may seem ok but my iphone gets 15 mbps where my inspiron gets only 0.5 mbps. 

Now i am trying to get my money back from the Dell office in Belgium. I always got people from Holland on the phone but not yet somebody from Belgium which actually sold the laptop to me (their information is on the bill)

16 Posts

January 21st, 2014 11:00

I spoke to Tech Support and when I did I was 90% sure my card was a single-band model. This was because nowhere in Windows (Device Manager or netsh wlan show driver) was it showing up as Dual-Band and it certainly wouldn't connect to my dual-band router.

I also noticed that on the Intel website they had a Wireless-N 7260 (single-band only) that supports 802.11b,g and n and a Dual-Band Wireless-N that supports 802.11a, g and n.

The Dell web site in the UK confusingly and incorrectly advertises the Inspiron 15 7000 with a Dual-Band 7260 bgn, ie it should either be single-band bgn or Dual-Band agn not both !

Dell in the UK also advertises alternative correct configurations of the Inspiron 15 7000 with Dual-Band Wireless-N 7260 agn (ie a valid card).

When I tried to convince Tech Support that my card was single-band in spite of it being advertised and sold as Dual-Band the attitude I faced was that the Dell web site must be correct and it just wasn't appearing as Dual-Band on my PC. In fact at one stage they tried to justify the Dual-Band description by saying it was wi-fi plus Bluetooth ! He also incorrectly tried to blame the absence of vPro technology in my PC on the lack of Dual-Band support.

When I didn't get anywhere with this engineer, it was escalated and the next engineer I spoke to suggested that it was a Dual-Band card but my Inspiron 15 7000 didn't support Dual-Band and that if the same card was installed in another compatible PC it would work with Dual-Band.

I then presented all the evidence as per the Intel web site and he then agreed my card was single-band but that the alternative dual-band Wireless-N 7260 agn card was unlikely to work in my Inspiron 15 7000.  (All that was different between my PC and those advertised on the Dell site with the 7260 agn card was the video card). I agreed that may be there was a small chance the video card in my particular  configuration would conflict with the Dual-Band 7260 agn and that was why it was being shipped with the single-band 7260 bgn in spite of it being advertised as dual-band.

As my single-band performance wasn't an issue, I left it there.

The next day I was called to say that Dell believed the Dual-Band Wireless-N 7260 agn would work in my PC after all and that an engineer would call with a replacement. The card was replaced and it works fine.

The main issues I faced all along here were an incorrect description of the wireless card on the Dell web site and an obstinate disbelieving attitude from Tech Support when I tried to convince them of what had happened and what had been installed in my PC.

When the response you get from Tech Support is answers like Dual-Band is wi-fi plus Bluetooth or that it would be dual-band if it was installed in another PC or that it's not Dual-Band because your PC doesn't support vPro technology, then it makes you more determined to get to the bottom of the issue even though in my case unlike others, performance was never a major problem.

Incidentally, I noticed that the Dell site in the US is advertising all Inspiron 15 7000s with a Dual-Band Wireless-N 7260 bgn ... the card that doesn't exist ... it's single-band bgn or dual-band agn.

7 Posts

January 22nd, 2014 23:00

I have same problem too. I bought my dell 7537 last month and since than I just bring frustrrated as my wifi signal always low. and even whan my iphone is few cm from my laptop it gets wifi signal and my dell doesnt. i think its not acceptable that i buy the premium dell inspiron which should be the best, and i see others with 5-4 years old laptops getting connection. I paid extra to get that Dell model even when i could buy a lot cheaper ASUS or HP and it would work. 

i am starting to think i made mistake choosing that laptop!!!

January 23rd, 2014 07:00

But mohity, was your connection really poor before you upgraded to the 7260 AC?

The reason I'm asking is because I suspect the problems have nothing to do with the wireless adapter itself.

Why? Because many people have mentioned that Dell technicians came and replaced their adapters with many different models, and they all had the same issues.

Whereas I have the standard Intel 7260 and my connection is perfect. It connects at 130 Mbps and I get download speeds of up to 40 Mbps from about 8 meters away.

I think there's a large number of these laptops that have Wifi problems due to another unknown factor. There's something different about our laptops, but it's not quite clear what it is.

Finally i go my THIRD Inspiron 15 7537 laptop today.... And guess what,the exact same wifi issue..... I cant believe i have to go through with the whole process registering a complaint, making hours of phone calls with dell tech, parts replacement, weeks and weeks of waiting and then finally another system replacement...... 

DELL??????

Hi, 

In Belgium they are finnaly taking action to give me my money back.

I searched on the web (linkedin) to people who work at Dell in my country. So i contacted them this way and i was able to get in touch with an marketing manager for the benelux. And that helped. I told him about the issue and the fact that i wouldn't stop sharing my story with other people until they gave me my money back. So now they asked for my contact details and they are starting the procedure. 

So i will keep you guys updatet about this and hopefully i get my money back. It could work for you guys to because after 3 laptops as jacksonjoseph told us it doesn't look that they will be able to fix the issue itself. 

15 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 08:00

you might be right. I think the aluminium body makes the transmitting somewhat weaker and u need the ac technology that is a spatial stream which can bypass the effects of the aluminium body. or it could be anything else

2 Posts

Do you have Windows 8, or Windows 8.1?   I have Windows 8, and I didn't have a problem with the wifi dropping.  My issue was that I only had single band wifi and was told that was all the 7537 supported.  This was a lie.  After speaking to 5 different technicians, the last one with Premium Phone Support, they agreed to change out the wifi with dual band.   It seems to be working just fine (but it's only been 1 day).   

In order to get the technician to replace the wifi card, I had to refer him to this forum so he could see for himself what is going on .  He also had to take remote access of my computer to see for himself.

I have the 7737 (17" Inspiron 7000 series) and I have no connectivity issues.  My Router is in a back bedroom and I use the laptop in the living room.  I even play MMO games with no issues.  I wonder what is so dramatically different between the 15" and 17" models?

15 Posts

But u kmow what it is .. I have another old gateway fx laptop which has a a 5100 agn and it behaves exactly

the same way and this starting happening only after updating to windows 8. This laptop is plastic btw

9 Posts

February 8th, 2014 13:00

Hi guys,

my wifi is working so far since I downgrade the wireless drivers to 16.5.3.6 version.

Might be something to this.  I purchased mine from delloutlet.com as a refurbished machine.  It came loaded with the 16.5.3.6 version of the driver (even though there was a newer one available).  It works fine when I first restart the computer, but it will sometimes pop down to below 100kbps and I have to restart the computer to get it out of that. 

Not sure if I have dual band or not.  My device manager just says Intel Wireless-N 7260.  Would it say "dual band" in the name in device manager if that is what it was.  My spec sheet at purchase read

Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260   2x2 BGN + Bluetooth 4.0  

9 Posts

February 8th, 2014 13:00

Sorry to heat about your problems. I am one of the lucky owners of the Inspiron 15 7000 who don't seem to have a Wifi issue.

Godfather666 - what model of wireless card does your device manager show and what driver are you running?

9 Posts

February 8th, 2014 14:00

OK.  I've now read through all the posts and started on the notebookreviewforum posts.  I have the Intel Wireless-N 7260 per my device manager, although my purchase email says I should have the "dual band" version.  I get about 20mbps at about 30 feet from the router but right at the router I get 55 mbps.  Also, sometimes it basically stops working altogether (although a reboot fixes this).  I have Verizon Fios 50/25.  I am running the 16.5.3.6 driver dated 9/19/2013.  My Bluetooth connection shows as not connected in task manager (not sure why).  Intel's auto detect tells me I am running Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 (but that just isn't right). 

From those that have gone through this, what would you suggest? 

1) living with 20 mbps and restarting several times a day to keep that speed.  Also praying that it doesn't start having more issues.

2) Contact dell support to request a replacement card.  Seems like many are getting the true dual band card or another dell wifi card. 

Thanks,

Dale

1 Message

February 8th, 2014 20:00

Just throwing this out there. I just got a new Dell 15r and could connect to wifi at another house the other day but not at home. It was killing me, I couldn't connect to anything. I upgraded drivers straight from Intel but still no good.

However I did find this and it worked. Apparently Windows 8 dropped support for WEP. I changed my router to WPA and it worked.

Not a fan of windows 8 thus far. Hope this maybe helps someone...

This is from the forum on intel

------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems Windows* 8 does not natively support WEP Shared anymore based on the link below.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/c5aa823b-284a-4f7b-9cbc-a30f9b5e59f2/windows-8-wep-shared-key-resolution?forum=w8itpronetworking

Have you used an older Intel® Proset version or updated the AP’s firmware?

Perhaps you may also want to consider using a more secure encryption method instead

No Events found!