mohity
1 Copper

RE: Dell Inspiron 15 7000(7537) WiFi issue

Jump to solution

But u kmow what it is .. I have another old gateway fx laptop which has a a 5100 agn and it behaves exactly

the same way and this starting happening only after updating to windows 8. This laptop is plastic btw

0 Kudos
Kem2
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Do you have Windows 8, or Windows 8.1?   I have Windows 8, and I didn't have a problem with the wifi dropping.  My issue was that I only had single band wifi and was told that was all the 7537 supported.  This was a lie.  After speaking to 5 different technicians, the last one with Premium Phone Support, they agreed to change out the wifi with dual band.   It seems to be working just fine (but it's only been 1 day).   

In order to get the technician to replace the wifi card, I had to refer him to this forum so he could see for himself what is going on .  He also had to take remote access of my computer to see for himself.

iSeeker
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi guys,

my wifi is working so far since I downgrade the wireless drivers to 16.5.3.6 version.

Might be something to this.  I purchased mine from delloutlet.com as a refurbished machine.  It came loaded with the 16.5.3.6 version of the driver (even though there was a newer one available).  It works fine when I first restart the computer, but it will sometimes pop down to below 100kbps and I have to restart the computer to get it out of that. 

Not sure if I have dual band or not.  My device manager just says Intel Wireless-N 7260.  Would it say "dual band" in the name in device manager if that is what it was.  My spec sheet at purchase read

Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260   2x2 BGN + Bluetooth 4.0  

0 Kudos
iSeeker
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Sorry to heat about your problems. I am one of the lucky owners of the Inspiron 15 7000 who don't seem to have a Wifi issue.

Godfather666 - what model of wireless card does your device manager show and what driver are you running?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
iSeeker
1 Copper

Jump to solution

OK.  I've now read through all the posts and started on the notebookreviewforum posts.  I have the Intel Wireless-N 7260 per my device manager, although my purchase email says I should have the "dual band" version.  I get about 20mbps at about 30 feet from the router but right at the router I get 55 mbps.  Also, sometimes it basically stops working altogether (although a reboot fixes this).  I have Verizon Fios 50/25.  I am running the 16.5.3.6 driver dated 9/19/2013.  My Bluetooth connection shows as not connected in task manager (not sure why).  Intel's auto detect tells me I am running Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 (but that just isn't right). 

From those that have gone through this, what would you suggest? 

1) living with 20 mbps and restarting several times a day to keep that speed.  Also praying that it doesn't start having more issues.

2) Contact dell support to request a replacement card.  Seems like many are getting the true dual band card or another dell wifi card. 

Thanks,

Dale

0 Kudos
godfather666
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

iseeker, I just have the Intel Wireless-N 7260 (not dual band) and using driver: 16.5.3.6

0 Kudos
botop
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Just throwing this out there. I just got a new Dell 15r and could connect to wifi at another house the other day but not at home. It was killing me, I couldn't connect to anything. I upgraded drivers straight from Intel but still no good.

However I did find this and it worked. Apparently Windows 8 dropped support for WEP. I changed my router to WPA and it worked.

Not a fan of windows 8 thus far. Hope this maybe helps someone...

This is from the forum on intel

------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems Windows* 8 does not natively support WEP Shared anymore based on the link below.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/c5aa823b-284a-4f7b-9cbc-a30f9b5e59f2/window...

Have you used an older Intel® Proset version or updated the AP’s firmware?

Perhaps you may also want to consider using a more secure encryption method instead

0 Kudos
TedV82
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I had exactly the same experience with this same model purchased just last week, received Feb 9. They updated the wireless card drivers, saw a slight improvement. They replaced the motherboard and wireless card (with the same model), no change. The tech suspects an antenna issue. Installing the Intel drivers (instead of Dell's), I saw a slight improvement. I suspect a design issue, and seriously considering returning the PC for credit.

Close to the router I was getting 15Mbps. About 40 feet away, my 3 year old Inspiron 14Z (showed 7-15Mbps*, the new Inspiron 15 7000 series was never higher than 1Mbps, driver update got it almost to 3Mbps. Using Speedtest.net.

* Using Time Warner cable, the bandwidth can be affected by total demand on the system, but my old PC was clearly and consistently at least double the speed at 40 feet, usually much more than double.

0 Kudos
ambichetan
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Mohity,

I am planning to replace my card also by 7260 AC in my Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop. And I read in dell forum that you have replaced yours.
Could you please give some guidance on how to replace the card ? Is there any youtube video for the same ? I searched, but couldn't find any resource.

Thank you 🙂

0 Kudos
TedV82
1 Copper

Jump to solution

My issues occurred within the first 2 weeks of having the PC. I am having the PC replaced (it was that or return for credit). I had 2 phone support/remote diag sessions and 2 in home hardware repair sessions and they did not resolve the issue, then they wanted me to send it to depot repair, leaving me without a PC and with no confidence that the 5th repair attempt would be any better than the first four. The issue was that the wireless reception dropped dramatically as I moved away from the router. Your issue may be different. Close to the router it would get 15Mbps, as did my 14Z. At about 40 feet away, the 14Z would still be close to 15Mbps, the Insprion 15 7000 would be at less than 1 Mbps. They replaced the wireless card twice, the motherboard once, they suspect the antenna but could not remove the keyboard in order to replace the antenna.

0 Kudos