Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

November 3rd, 2017 12:00

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 is turning off and restarting after BIOS update

Good afternoon,

I recently (3 months ago) bought a Dell Inspiron 15 7567 Gaming Laptop, since I got it I have had a couple of issues that were corrected after I updated my BIOS 3 days ago. But a new problem has started, a worse problem than the ones I had previously. 

I decided to update my BIOS because I was having what I thought was a Video card issue. When ever I started watching a video on Youtube the laptop would freeze for about 2 seconds (just once per start, if I restarted the PC it would freeze again) and also when I turned on the computer before the DELL logo the PC would blink for a couple of seconds. 

After I updated the BIOS 3 days ago, it was fixed but now my PC turns off and restarts at random times. I already ran the http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/servicetag/4d80l22/diagnose and everything was fine according to it.

My guess is that it obviously has something to do with the new BIOS which is the 1.2.0.

Could you please help me, I'm worry that if I keep using the PC and it keeps shutting down I'm going to damage the computer. As every time it restarts I get a blue screen, which says I could try and Fix it (Go back to a previous version) or restart.

9 Posts

December 11th, 2017 18:00

I experienced a couple shutdowns over three days when 1.) Connected to an external monitor over HDMI and 2.) running Chrome or Firefox. Using a monitor and playing video in Chrome activated the Nvidia GPU. Hope this may help!

6 Posts

December 11th, 2017 19:00

It mostly happens when Optimus is switching integrated to the Nvidia GPU.

December 11th, 2017 23:00

Hello good day. I have a newly bought unit inspiron 15 7000 around november 4, 2017. At first few days I was very happy as it has very good specs. I can play total war warhammer without issues. Then one day    i decided to put it onsleep mode while as i was about to take a nap after some typing. When i woke up my heart suddenly stopped because when i tried to wakep up the pc it was all gray white pixel screen but the mouse was still responding. I manually shut it down. I thought it was done for. I rebooted it and everyhting was fine. Then after i tried to put it on hibernation mode. The same gray white screen welcomed me upon waking the pc up.

After some research i found an answer in the form of a BIOS 1.2 update. It was a blast or so i thought. Then after a few days it was showing some very odd behaviour. When on battery sometimes it does shutdown or restart then after i reboot it it shows me a message that the windows did not properly load.  I frequently experience this when it is on battery and a usb device is plugged on my pc such as when i was transferring photos from my phone.

P.S.

The gray screen issue was resolved eversince the 1.2 BIOS update. I tried hardware diagnostic option on bios menu which found no issues in my harddisk  ram or hardware.  I did try several  occassions to fully clean install the windows. And take note i never experience it when i was playing any game like civ 6, endless space 2, xcom, crusader kings 2 and stellaris. As of what I know most of them are  graphics and cpu intensive. I love my rig. Hope this could be resolved.

1 Rookie

• 

43 Posts

December 12th, 2017 02:00

@jaspherkeith You can resolve these problems by downgrade the BIOS version to 1.1.0. I think some things are broken in bios 1.2.0.

December 12th, 2017 02:00

@Korntunes what about the problems

4 Posts

December 12th, 2017 08:00

I also downgraded to BIOS 1.1.0 and have no restart problem since. (no random freezes or screen problems when re-opening the lid either).

December 12th, 2017 22:00

After I downgrade v1.1.0, I didn't exprienced any hybernation glitch

7 Posts

December 13th, 2017 09:00

Just wanted to post here again and say that this problem is still happening.

10 Posts

December 14th, 2017 06:00

There's new updates for drivers which were posted today. Can anyone confirm if installing these 3 drivers (wifi, engine interface driver, bluetooth driver) with bios 1.2.0 somehow fixed the problem? I'm still in bios 1.1.0.

December 15th, 2017 13:00

How did you do it?

4 Posts

December 18th, 2017 12:00

1 Rookie

• 

43 Posts

December 18th, 2017 17:00

@indrajith Is it work?

4 Posts

December 19th, 2017 00:00

I don't know did not try this. bios 1.1.0 is working fine for me.

1 Rookie

• 

43 Posts

December 19th, 2017 00:00

@indrajith Exactly the same, I am very pleased from bios 1.1.0

December 19th, 2017 10:00

@ DELL-Justin C  Hello good day. I would just like to ask if the windows will keep a log of what is the cause of the sudden shutdown. Right after i open my pc after a random shutdown it would say the windows didnt load correctly. Im pretty sure it does its shutdown fits when i am transferring file from my phone to its hard disk.. thanks in advance. My inspiron 15 7000 is only a month old.

No Events found!