Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

November 3rd, 2017 12:00

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 is turning off and restarting after BIOS update

Good afternoon,

I recently (3 months ago) bought a Dell Inspiron 15 7567 Gaming Laptop, since I got it I have had a couple of issues that were corrected after I updated my BIOS 3 days ago. But a new problem has started, a worse problem than the ones I had previously. 

I decided to update my BIOS because I was having what I thought was a Video card issue. When ever I started watching a video on Youtube the laptop would freeze for about 2 seconds (just once per start, if I restarted the PC it would freeze again) and also when I turned on the computer before the DELL logo the PC would blink for a couple of seconds. 

After I updated the BIOS 3 days ago, it was fixed but now my PC turns off and restarts at random times. I already ran the http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/servicetag/4d80l22/diagnose and everything was fine according to it.

My guess is that it obviously has something to do with the new BIOS which is the 1.2.0.

Could you please help me, I'm worry that if I keep using the PC and it keeps shutting down I'm going to damage the computer. As every time it restarts I get a blue screen, which says I could try and Fix it (Go back to a previous version) or restart.

1 Rookie

• 

43 Posts

December 23rd, 2017 12:00

@pyobon00 OMG!! Why they are blocked downgrade? I think the best is to stay in version 1.1.0

10 Posts

December 23rd, 2017 13:00

I faced the shut down on the second day of the 1.14 bios. God, I can't beleive it is year 2018 already, they can't fix a software bug for months. Having the problem from the first day.

10 Posts

December 23rd, 2017 20:00

Thank you so much for the updates. So lucky I checked this thread first before downloading the newest bios. Still in 1.1.0.

December 23rd, 2017 22:00

I tried upgrading to BIOS 1.4.0 yesterday but am seeing the same issue. My CPU shutdown randomly when the battery dipped below 50%.

10 Posts

December 24th, 2017 03:00

And please explain the issue to @DellCares on twitter. They may decide to consider a solution if they get enough complaints. They respond very quickly on twitter.

December 24th, 2017 10:00

@community

Happy holidays!

@saltgrass

How do you generate  the configuration of my system. Thanks in advance.

And where will i be able to find the dump files.?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 24th, 2017 10:00

Well, not seeing any problems on my system running 1.4.0, or at least no shutdowns.  I don't let the battery run down, so I will do that; today.

Would someone please start giving the configuration of your systems.  They are not all alike.

The dump file I have, which was produced today shows the following, so I will check for a new Nvidia driver.

FAILURE_ID_HASH_STRING:  km:0x9f_3_power_down_nvlddmkm_image_pci.sys

This system was just redone yesterday from a Win 10 recovery drive.  Running a M.2 PCIe drive as NVMe and second SATA SSD.  SiaplY IA 4k ..

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 24th, 2017 11:00

There may be differences in resolution, which you can right click the desktop and check the display resolution.  You can open Device Manager to find others, or go to the Dell support page and look for the configuration option.

I did not see my system Blue Screen but the dump file was created about the time I started it today.  Dump files may be at \Windows\memory.dmp or \Windows\minidump\xxxxx.dmp  or a new place is the \Windows\LiveKernelreports folders.

I have now installed the latest Nvidia driver for their website and I will report if I see anything relevant.  I do not include the Nvidia Experience when I install that driver, since it has been known to cause problems in earlier versions.

3 Posts

December 25th, 2017 10:00

This random reboot problem occurs 100% when playing a game in unplugged state. (In my case) does not happen when surfing the web. This seems to be a problem when using external graphics.

I tried it with StarCraft and MapleStory which require low specification, but both games were able to experience a random reboot in less than 30 minutes.

If you need my configuration, I will share it. I can do everything to solve this problem.

and this problem occurs in versions 1.2.0 and 1.4.0 of the BIOS. It does not happen in 1.1.0 and below.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 25th, 2017 12:00

I just found this on my system on Event Viewer.  In my earlier I indicated I had found a Dump file so I was replacing the Nvidia driver.  Keep in mind, this system is a recent reset to factory and I updated the Nvidia drivers yesterday.  You can see the number or errors shown for the driver prior to changing the Nvidia driver and none shown after that...

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

December 26th, 2017 13:00

@Community,

I tried my own copy of Stellaris today and the unit shut down twice so far today. I'm going to make sure the behavior is contestant then submit this to Dell engineering to resolve.

More updates will come in the future.

December 27th, 2017 15:00

@saltgrass @ Justin c

Dell cares over twitter suggested a clean install from a bootable drive using the image from dell support. Do you think this will help? I mean i did some reinstallation of the os on my pc using the windows reset option a few times before  but i havent found  any improvement with my issues. I am also concerned that they said it would also wipe out the recovery partition that the windows use for that reset option.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

December 27th, 2017 16:00

@Jaspherkeith,

Me personally, I have not recommended operating system repair or clean reinstall for this issue and I do not plan to ask anyone to do so. My Reason: The behavior started to occur only after a BIOS update and was resolved with downgrade, for multiple users.

I've run this system here in my lab all day without shut down on 1.2 BIOS ( I was running multiple games on it ). I was hoping to make the 2 shut downs from yesterday reproduce again.

I'm going to send you a DM shortly.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

What Nvidia driver are you running?  My system may have been a quirk after a factory reset, but 53,000 errors in less than 48 hours seems excessive.

If you are thinking about resetting, you might was to first try installing the latest version from the Nvidia site.  Make sure and not install the GeForce Experience component.  If you show that component installed on the Programs and Features dialog, you might try uninstalling that first.  I just say this because that component has caused problems in the past.  I am currently running the 388.71 driver.

Dell always recommends reinstalling everything since that is the quickest way to solve many problems.  There is a possibility some part of your install is in conflict with either the new Bios or Win 10 or both.  Reinstalling the OS did not help when I had a problem with my 9365 system and the latest Win 10 Build..

Still no dump files?  @Justin, did you get any dump files?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

Anyone here ever test their system using a Benchmark such as 3D Mark 11?

No Events found!