Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

December 1st, 2014 15:00

Dell Inspiron 15 7537 won't turn on

I am a bit of a tech head, and urged my wife to wait until the "good" touch screen haswell laptops came out.  I even wrote some glowing reviews of Dell's inspiron 15 7537 after I received it ([View:www.amazon.com/.../ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt])

Unfortunately, just a few weeks out of warranty, the trusty laptop has stopped powering up.  

The symptoms: laptop will not power up.  Things I have tried:

• Making sure the power cable was plugged in (LED is on the power ring on the plug itself)
  • Making sure the PC recognizes the power cable and the power adapter isn't loose (power ring brightens when plugged in)
  • Trying different outlets, including several direct to wall outlets
  • Removing battery and trying to power up with just power cable
  • Removing battery and AC adapter, holding power for 3+ minutes to "clear static charge" as recommended by some self-help websites
  • Doing above and then plugging power cable in
  • One ram chip at a time
  • No ram

Unfortunately nothing works.  Fans don't turn on, lights don't turn on, display doesn't turn on, no noises or beeps.  Other than the power ring on the plug getting brighter when I plug it in, there is no indication that the device is receiving any power.  

I'm pretty bummed and hope there is a solution and/or that Dell can help make things right.  The build quality of the device is so high and my wife has been very satisfied and I hope that she can get more than a year of use out of the device.

Many thanks,

Luke from London

1 Message

December 30th, 2014 18:00

I have had the same problem.  This computer has been horrible for this.  I have replaced the motherboard and sent it out to depot for repair.  It still does this.  I have to remove the back cover and pull the battery then put the battery back in and then it will work for a while then I will have to do it again.  I have been very disappointed with this laptop.  We use Dells at work and I have never had this problem until this computer.  I have been disappointed in Dell helping me with the issue.  They tell me that nothing is wrong with the computer but It has been a pain with this issue.

Thanks,

Ron

2 Posts

January 5th, 2015 19:00

I am facing the same problem. Aren't there any permanent solutions. Please help.

1 Message

March 27th, 2015 21:00

I'm experiencing the same problems as the OP lukeabrams and also tried the same troubleshooting steps. Is there a remedy? Please tell me there is, I spent a lot of cash on this system.

1 Message

May 21st, 2015 05:00

I found the solution

The problem is sometimes when the battery is Flat or very low. The charger (19v ~ 4.62A ) is unable to jump start the charging of battery or/and the laptop. If you use a powerful charger (19v ~ 7.7A, 150W), it will start the charging, and later you can use your old charger again.

Cheers!

29 Posts

May 22nd, 2015 11:00

Same issue here. Maybe try an alien ware adapter, I see one on eBay 150watt 7.xx amps ?

29 Posts

May 23rd, 2015 08:00

I just powered down pulled the cord, then pulled the battery then the ram. I reinserted them ram then booted up fine with no battery installed! Then put the battery while the laptop was on. It showed 75% , no problems yet. I rebooted a few times. And also did a boot up with battery only and a boot with the power cord and battery. This is the weirdest thing that has ever happened to me. Than got I found this thread before I spent 50$ on the adapter and who knows what else. Does anyone think this is a sign the battery is failing ? I can get 4 hours while on battery with the dell battery software on. This laptop has never given be one issue and coupled with a 256gb SSD drive it's super fast.

1 Message

May 27th, 2015 14:00

GREAT ANSWER!

My son's laptop stopped working, and as noted would no longer charge.  Did the usual battery removal, no joy.

Read this post, and tried my Alienware 13 PS, which is rated at 19.5 VDC, 6.7 Amps, and it's working perfectly!

1 Message

July 11th, 2016 13:00

Was dreading taking it into a repair shop! You're a star, thank you so much! Bought £30 (19v / 7.7a) charger from eBay and it started up straight away.

No Events found!