Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 24th, 2013 04:00

Dell Inspiron 15 7537

This model is advertised to come with Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 2x2 B wireless adapter. I have upgraded the OS to Windows 8.1 and have the latest driver (16.6.0.8). However, I cannot see any 5GHz wifi networks. Does this adapter support 5GHz (I thought it did given the description from Intel) but wanted to check here first.

500 Posts

December 7th, 2013 02:00

Sorry for the little bit of delay, Holidays and all. 

I believe you are not running the card you think you are. You may not be able to support the 5ghz network with your card. 

This is the one I assume you thought was installed 802.11n, dual-band, 2x2 Wi-Fi plus Bluetooth 4.0

and this is the one I believe you have installed 802.11n, 2x2, 2.4-GHz, Wi-Fi plus Bluetooth 4.0

We can double check, by having you open a command prompt (right click the start icon on the desktop in the lower left corner, and select "command prompt (admin)" and then enter 

netsh wlan show driver

If you are only showing "Radio types supported : 802.11b 802.11g 802.11n" you do not have the 5ghz model installed.

If this is the case, and you had ordered it to support 5ghz, I would recommend getting in touch with Dell support about replacing it with the proper card.

I hope this helps :)

500 Posts

December 7th, 2013 09:00

I am glad to have cleared it up for you. 

It is a weird issue to have happen, but I know you are not the only one. I have found at least one other similar instance of it happening. 

The problem is more with Intel marketing. The cards are very similar with only minor changes, and they are sometimes even marketed as the same card. It would be like accidentally selling someone "off white" instead of "eggshell white" paint at the hardware store. 

Good to hear, though, that it will be fixed here soon. Then you shouldn't have any trouble getting the 5ghz. 

500 Posts

November 24th, 2013 05:00

It does support the 5ghz, http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/dual-band-wireless-n-7260-bluetooth-brief.pdf , I would encourage we look further into the problem. 

Did the 5ghz wifi networks show up properly before the OS upgrade?

Are you able to see the 5ghz network now on any other supporting device?

What kind of router or network setup are you using?

I would also like to point out that you are not alone. Many users are experiencing issues 5ghz connections on Windows 8.1, particularly with netgear routers. 

For example: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-networking/windows-81-will-not-automatically-connect-5ghz/31d38231-25ed-47b3-8865-78f5005a7bc6

However, this is just one of many examples. 

The best thing might also to test alternate channels on the routers, but I would also like to hear back about the other questions so that we can help find the issue. :)

28 Posts

November 24th, 2013 16:00

I did not see any 5Ghz networks before the Windows 8.1 upgrade.

However, I am able to see my standard 5Ghz network on every other device including another Dell laptop, my iPhone etc., so the problem does not seem to be the router (I am using an ASUS RT-AC66U router which is dual band ). I switched to another dual band router Netgear WNDR3700 and the laptop still not see the 5Ghz network on that alternative router.

When I use my laptop at work, I still do not see any 5Ghz networks as well.

28 Posts

November 27th, 2013 02:00

Thanks and no problem.

When I expand "Network Adapters", I see the following:

• Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
  • Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
  • Intel(R) Wireless-N 7260
  • Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

500 Posts

November 27th, 2013 02:00

So, at this point I would want to double check the actual component. I am glad you got the chance to test out the 5ghz connection on other devices to make sure it is present and working, not we just need your laptop working properly. 

If you can go to your device manager and see what wireless card is currently installed. 

Just right click on the Start Button, then hit Device Manager. From there expand "Network Adapters" and let me know what you are showing, please. 

28 Posts

December 7th, 2013 04:00

Yes, you are correct, wrong card installed at factory :emotion-18:. Called Support, new card being installed next week (I hope) via on site repair. I have no idea how this mixup could have occurred. Perhaps the quality control at the factory needs some improvement and there might be a bunch of 7537 machines out there with the wrong card installed.

December 12th, 2013 13:00

I think I have the same problem.

Can anyone print here what appears with command prompt when the right device is installed?

My shows: Radio types supported : 802.11b 802.11g 802.11n

I have already tried every possible driver, but still appears the same radio types. Is there any other configuration I can change so the 5Ghz appears? Or probably I also have the wrong device installed?

500 Posts

December 16th, 2013 10:00

Radio types supported     : 802.11n 802.11a 802.11g 802.11b

You are missing the 802.11a. I appears that your card does not support the 5ghz frequency and may be worth looking into a potential upgrade. 

Hope that clears things up.

28 Posts

December 16th, 2013 10:00

When I was in contact with Dell Technical Support on my specific issue, I was told that there are other laptops out there with the same problem i.e. wrong card. Suggest you call them and escalate.

December 17th, 2013 07:00

Actually I even don`t have a 5Ghz router, I was trying to solve my wifi problems when I realized that there was no option to choose 5Ghz. By that time I thought that maybe the problem was the wrong card.

Do you know if I have to have a 5Ghz router to appear this 802.11a? Or even if I don`t have this radio type should appear?

By the way, my wifi is working now since I downgrade the wireless drivers until 16.5.3.6. 

December 21st, 2013 09:00

hi,

i have the same issue. next week a techician will come and install a new wifi card in my 7537. But is your laptop fixed now? Because i am affraid that he will install the same wifi card that i own now...

greets

tom from belgium

28 Posts

December 21st, 2013 10:00

I had the same concern so I asked them to send me a replacement laptop, just to be sure. Dell agreed and I am scheduled to receive in early January 2014 due to shipment backlog.

January 6th, 2014 07:00

hi,

did the new card solved the problem? and which one did they installed?

greets

28 Posts

January 6th, 2014 10:00

Hello,

Have not yet received the new laptop so cannot say if the problem is finally resolved or not.

No Events found!