Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 24th, 2013 04:00

Dell Inspiron 15 7537

This model is advertised to come with Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 2x2 B wireless adapter. I have upgraded the OS to Windows 8.1 and have the latest driver (16.6.0.8). However, I cannot see any 5GHz wifi networks. Does this adapter support 5GHz (I thought it did given the description from Intel) but wanted to check here first.

January 8th, 2014 08:00

A technician replaced my lcd/antenna kit 2 days ago. No improvement...

Today he came back with 3 wifi cards. 3 different cards. At first the cables of the antenna came loose so he will come back to replace the lcd/antenna again. But with a quick fix we both noticed that none of the cards improved the wifi speed. 

I use an external dlink wifi adaptor and i get speeds up to 25mbps. With the original internal intel cards i got 15mbps at max.

The tech told me he was affraid that this 7000 series have the same problem like the xps models. The alu cover of the screen causes all of these problems and that the only solution is asking my money back because the replacement laptops will probably all have the same issue.

I ll give and update when i have some more news about how they will solve this. I am not going to wait yet another month for a solution.

2 Posts

January 10th, 2014 20:00

Hello Plasir,

I just wanted to add that I ran into the exact same issue with my Inspiron15 7513 that I bough on 12/30/2013. I was wondering why I could not find any 5GHz settings in the adapter properties, and this post confirmed the issue for.
Today I was on the Phone for over an hour with tech support and customer service, and at the end I was told that there had been a mistake in the order page and the order confirmation where the WiFi adapter had falsely been described as dual band. When I asked if they could ship me a dual band replacement card, I was told that none of the Inspiron models came with a dual band WiFi card and that Dell therefore could not upgrade me to one.

My only option, I was told is to return the device for a refund.

Unfortunately, the 2.4GHz 802.11N WiFi performance of this notebook is very bad, compared to my older XPS 15 and any other notebook I have used in the same place in my house. Even after the upgrade to the latest drivers from the Dell support page.   

I find it scandalous that Dell has to this point not changed the product description on their webpage, even though they know it is false. I almost seems as if they are counting on the fact that many customers would not be able to tell the difference anyway, and that the hassle of a return might deter the rest.

I am wondering if I could just buy a dual band card (802.11ac, dual-band, 2x2 Wi-Fi plus Bluetooth available for $25) and replace it myself.

Suggestions anybody?

28 Posts

January 11th, 2014 04:00

Agreed, it is scandalous that they would advertise a product and not manufacture it according to their own specs.

I know that this might sound callous, but companies like Dell are hurting in the PC space and so their basic instinct could be to turn a blind eye to these types of issues as it costs them $$ to fix. That is unfortunate as we are the loyal customers paying for their products. The only thing I have ever asked Dell for in my case is to make good on their original laptop specification.

However doing a return is a hassle. Also replacing the wifi card with the AC model is simple (2 screws and antenna connection swap fully detailed in the owner's manual), and it is relatively inexpensive. My advice for you is if you like the laptop and would like to keep it (I know I do), replace the card yourself and move on.

2 Posts

January 15th, 2014 18:00

Same problem. The system is still advertised on the Dell website as having dual band, but the support people claim the invoice is incorrect.

Wifi performance is significantly worse than my 5 year old Del.

Very disappointing.

UPDATE: after the web chat where Dell claimed that my invoice was incorrect, I called and talked someone else who was much more helpful - after reinstalling drivers, tinkering with settings, etc. they agreed that the wifi card should be replaced. The next day a tech came and replaced the single band card with a dual band card. Wifi performance is now better than it was, but still significantly worse than my 5-year-old Dell laptop.

2 Posts

January 18th, 2014 15:00

Lucky you. Tech support told me that they could not provide a dual band model of the card, so I ended up buying the dual band 7260 AC for $25

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106190

The installation was easy and the card worked immediately as the Intel drivers are the same.

Performance on both 2.4 and 5 GHz is good.

So, I guess the advise to any owner should be to insist that Dell replace the card with the correct dual band version, as they were able to do so for you.
Something that makes me wonder about Dell's handling of this issue is the fact that my review on the product page, were I pointed out the fact that the WiFi card is not dual band, seems to have been suppressed, and I was not using any bad language. Maybe someone else from this thread can post a review as well. I will try it once more.

Best regards,

January 18th, 2014 23:00

Hi,

vould you tell me what mbps download speed you get at lets say 35-40 feet away from the router i you do the speedtest.net ?

kind regards

5 Posts

June 20th, 2014 18:00

I too spoke with Dell at length on this issue.  My invoice clearly states Intel Dual Band Wireless-N.  The first technician said that it could connect to 2.4 GHZ and 2.4 GHZ so it was dual band (Really?).  The second technician agreed with me that my invoice states dual band and my computer has a single band card and actually went to bat for me with customer service, but I'm still stuck because they won't do anything about it since I've discovered it more than 30 days after purchase.  I will be also shopping for a new card.  Super disappointed with Dell, they could have kept a loyal customer (I direct technology at a 1400+ PC school district) by replacing a $30 card, but instead I am rethinking future purchases.

5 Posts

June 20th, 2014 19:00

And then amazingly, the Dell support rep calls back and says they have set up a replacement with an actual dual band card! Thank you so much Dell Support!

No Events found!